1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret buzz only at 12th fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chobbes, Sep 22, 2008.

1. chobbes

chobbes

May 5, 2008
    Hi all,

I just received a new 24 fret bolt-on 5 string bass today and noticed there's massive fret buzz, but only at the 12th fret of the E and A strings. I did some searching around the forums and the rest of the internet, and tried some suggestions...

I tried raising the string height first, but I prefer low action. When that didn't work very well, I adjusted the truss rod to create more of an upbow. When that didn't work, I adjusted the truss rod to straighten out the neck. In all cases, the fret buzz is pretty much localized only at the 12th fret of the E and A strings. I can see the strings vibrate against the 13th fret.

Does this mean the 13th fret is too high? Is there anything else left to try? Thanks for the help.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    hit the 13th fret lightly with a hammer.

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    take a feeler guage and see of the 13th fret has un seated itself in the fingerboard. If it has, tap it back in as stated above but use a HARD NYLON head hammer. You want to re seat the fret not dent it.