1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret dressing...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tplyons, Apr 18, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I recently bought a Strat knowing it would need some fretwork done, and I took it to a local builder/tech for the fretwork. He told me the total damage and my jaw dropped... about $50 more than I expected.

About how much does fret levelling go for?

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I do a lot of business with a local guitar tech. Last time I dropped something off for a neck install, full setup, and fret levelling, he charged $120. I paid him $140 (I do this a lot, so I have a feeling he's been cutting me deals for a while).

3. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    :( I get the feeling I've been charging people a LOT less than what I should be for doing this... I only do it locally as the nearest set up place is 2 hours out of town, and all of the local music shops know a lot less than I do about how to set up instruments, and I estimated a price which I should use as a basic standard guideline for all the instruments I set up.
    :crying:
    According to the rules here I don't think I'm allowed to say how much exactly, but it was a far cry from that!

4. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I'd say that anywhere from 100-150 depending where you are. Places in big cities charge more to pay rent. Anything over 150 for a fret dressing is ridiculous.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, then I was thinking a low number in my head. $130 ain't bad at all from what it seems.

Just would suck less if I spent more than $70 more than that on the guitar :p

6. fretwork was one of those things that scared the crap out of my underpants until I actually did it. My first fret job was not a repair, so that's a little easier, but dressing the frets it's not difficult at all. You just need patience and information. I got the stewmac DVD and that gave me courage to go ahead. First fretjob didn't need neck relief, the neck is straight as an arrow and there are no buzzes anywere on the fingerboard. If I can do it, then anyone can.

7. where's the user pic, wilser?