Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Leveling

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Jul 29, 2005.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I just baught a new bass and it plays ok but it has just a bit more neck relief that I like and has fret buz on some frets. I like my neck to feel straight with minmal relief, and low action. I've been reading a lot about fret leveling and I'm wondering what do some of you think about it and what difference in made on the way your bass felt? Thats' if you've ever had it done.

2. Having your frets leveled is one of the best things you can do for your bass. I just bought a Fender P-Bass and thats the first thing I did to it. Makes a big difference.

It doesn't really change the feel of the bass. When your frets are nice and level you can set the action how you want it witout the buzz. I can't stand the buzz.........

I don't know what it cost to have someone do it for you. I have the tools to do it myself. If you don't know what your doing you can make the problem worse.

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    If you get it done get the nut height set at the same time. It's a simple job that can make a major difference in feel. Then just tweak the truss rod and saddle heights to get the action you like.

4. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Back in the late 70's, I bought a martin D28 and sold my previous accoustic takamine to a friend. It played and sounded great when I sold it.
    Unfortunately, the friend was determined to "improve" it and had heard somewhere that fret filing was a good idea. So he got out his trust file and filed down all the frets working ACROSS the neck.......didnt play very well after that
    Jeff

5. Like Jeff alluded to, fret leveling is a service best left to pro's because you can take a playble instrument and make it unplayable in about 10 seconds if you don't know what you're doing. And it's not just the fret levelling that should be left to a pro - it's the DIAGNOSIS of the need for a fret levelling that should be done by a pro too.