Fretless Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I need some advice on what to do with my Carvin LB75f I just got off the bay. It has an ebony fingerboard.

I would like to string it with roundwounds, so I guess I need to apply some marine-grade epoxy, right?

If the answer to the above question is yes, how do I do it? How many layers do I need to apply?

Just out of curiosity, how long would the bass last without any epoxy strung with roundwounds?
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Lots of info on this over at the Luthier's section...
  3. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ebony's very dense you shouldn't need to epoxy it, it will also change the sound
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Even if I used roundwounds?
  5. You can use roundwounds on an ebony fretless...just expect a little wear...if you use nickel and not chrome or stainless, you'll get a little less wear. Technique is also a big factor in wear on a fingerboard.

Yes, the harder epoxy will definitely sound different than ebony. Not better or worse...different.

I personally love the sound of nylon tape wounds on a fretless. I'm not much into that Jaco farty thing.

My fretless fingerboard is untreated purpleheart. I love the feel of the raw wood.

Marine epoxy isn't the only thing you can use to coat a fingerboard, by the way... like spc said, check out the luthier's section.
  6. Or string it with halfrounds - they've got the flexibility of the roundwounds so you get that characteristic tone but the surface isn't as rough as the full rounds.