Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless and Acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Hey.
    Here's my story. I have $850 and I want to buy a Fretless and also an Acoustic Electric. I am planning to spend $600 on the fretless and the rest on the acoustic. I would prefer both basses be 5 or more strings. On the fretless, I will play rock, jazz, and pop and the acoustic is for small coffee shop gigs. Also for the fretless I would rather have it unlined. I have looked at Warwick Rockbass, MTD Kingston, and others. For the acoustic, I don't know what to look for. Suggestions for either are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why not spend all 850 on a fretless acoustic electric :p?

3. I thought about that, but It's pretty hard to find a 5 string fretless acoustic electric especially for under $850. Any suggestions for either the fretless or the acoustic?

4. I second that motion!

5. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?!?!! LOOK HERE
    http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Acoustic-Bass-Guitars--2393

6. I personally would look into the Michael Kelly Dragonfly.

7. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Godin A5 Fretless might fit the bill...

8. I did, but I heard that their positioning dots are in the wrong place which is not good in my opinion.

9. Isn't the Godin Semi-acoustic? And if it is would it still be loud enough for a coffee house gig without an amp?

10. Yes they are semi-acoustic. And Maybe :meh: :confused:

11. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    There will probably be conflicting opinions here but after spending a good amount of time playing a Tacoma, Taylor/Klein, and Godin I would guess that none of them are really loud enough (unplugged) if you are playing with other musicians at a small venue. Maybe loud enough if it's just vocals/classical guitar but a big steel string guitar is going to plow right over your acoustic bass.

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    hrm..
    5 strings eh....
    acoustic.....
    electric too eh?
    fretless eh....

CARVIN *cough cough*

849 for the basic model, thats 20$ shipping and about 50 for the case, so all in all your paying A LITTLE bit more, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT. I know I'd rather have 1 good bass than 1 mediocre and 1 cruddy bass.

my 2 cents

Baker

P.S. Good Luck!

13. It is just vocals and classical guitar, but does the Godin sound just as loud as a normal acoustic bass such as a Tacoma or is it not as loud because it's Semi-acoustic?

14. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Problem about that is money is not easy to come by because I have no job. I will definently look for it when I scan through sites. Anyone know about the Godin yet?

16. Any more suggestions?

17. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I want one... but they don't ship to Europe or the UK. Is there anything comparable in the inexpensive 5-string fretless acoustic bass category over here?

Russ :):):):):(

18. I suggest you save your money at this point.
    The unpluggedGodin will not be heard above a guitarist and singer. I have found that ABGs are not loud enough in most situations against a guitar, but that is my opinion to what is considered "loud enough". I just purchased a Pignose Hog30 battery powered amp, and play that in acoustic sessions.

Good luck with your search.

19. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
  20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    how 'bout a MTD Kingston fretless, use the rest of the money for a nice little combo rig?

I agree, no acoustic is going to be loud enough to cut through a guitar.