Fretless and Acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Hey.
    Here's my story. I have $850 and I want to buy a Fretless and also an Acoustic Electric. I am planning to spend $600 on the fretless and the rest on the acoustic. I would prefer both basses be 5 or more strings. On the fretless, I will play rock, jazz, and pop and the acoustic is for small coffee shop gigs. Also for the fretless I would rather have it unlined. I have looked at Warwick Rockbass, MTD Kingston, and others. For the acoustic, I don't know what to look for. Suggestions for either are greatly appreciated.

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why not spend all 850 on a fretless acoustic electric :p?
  3. I thought about that, but It's pretty hard to find a 5 string fretless acoustic electric especially for under $850. Any suggestions for either the fretless or the acoustic?
  4. I second that motion!
  6. I personally would look into the Michael Kelly Dragonfly.
  7. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Godin A5 Fretless might fit the bill...
  8. I did, but I heard that their positioning dots are in the wrong place which is not good in my opinion.
  9. Isn't the Godin Semi-acoustic? And if it is would it still be loud enough for a coffee house gig without an amp?
  10. Yes they are semi-acoustic. And Maybe :meh: :confused:
  11. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    There will probably be conflicting opinions here but after spending a good amount of time playing a Tacoma, Taylor/Klein, and Godin I would guess that none of them are really loud enough (unplugged) if you are playing with other musicians at a small venue. Maybe loud enough if it's just vocals/classical guitar but a big steel string guitar is going to plow right over your acoustic bass.
  12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    5 strings eh....
    electric too eh?
    fretless eh....

CARVIN *cough cough*

849 for the basic model, thats 20$ shipping and about 50 for the case, so all in all your paying A LITTLE bit more, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT. I know I'd rather have 1 good bass than 1 mediocre and 1 cruddy bass.

my 2 cents

P.S. Good Luck!
  13. It is just vocals and classical guitar, but does the Godin sound just as loud as a normal acoustic bass such as a Tacoma or is it not as loud because it's Semi-acoustic?

14. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Problem about that is money is not easy to come by because I have no job. I will definently look for it when I scan through sites. Anyone know about the Godin yet?
  16. Any more suggestions?
  17. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I want one... but they don't ship to Europe or the UK. Is there anything comparable in the inexpensive 5-string fretless acoustic bass category over here?

Russ :):):):):(
  18. I suggest you save your money at this point.
    The unpluggedGodin will not be heard above a guitarist and singer. I have found that ABGs are not loud enough in most situations against a guitar, but that is my opinion to what is considered "loud enough". I just purchased a Pignose Hog30 battery powered amp, and play that in acoustic sessions.

Good luck with your search.
  19. netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
  20. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    how 'bout a MTD Kingston fretless, use the rest of the money for a nice little combo rig?

I agree, no acoustic is going to be loud enough to cut through a guitar.