Fretless Bass sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tim Roberts, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Tim Roberts

Tim Roberts

Jul 9, 2019
    I have a stingray 5 fretless and am wanting to get the sound that Patrick Ohearn has on hold on the nights by Richard Marx . Can anyone tell me what effects are used . Thanks

2. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    That’s an old one!
    0CF782AF-8B0F-4808-96B9-EB0D578B016D.png
    In the video, he plays a fretted bass with MM pups and the effect is a chorus.

Hope it helps. Thanks for the throwback Tuesday :)

bholder likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Just had a listen to the album version, which is very different from the live video version, and there's a lot going on in the low end.

It sounds like there's a ton of compression, some chorus and maybe a very very short delay on the bass. I'm sure there's a good bit of very careful EQ as well.

More importantly, there's one or two keyboards doubling the fretless most of the time. You can hear the difference on a few of the fills that are bass-only. The rest of the time the initial attack of the "bass" is a synth. They're blended together well.

turcmic likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Looks like an Ibanez "Bean" bass in that pic. :cool:

tindrum likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

even with all the 'production' on that sound = it seems average/usual --- nothing wrong with that! just not "special." compression + mixed into the 'house reverb' + the technique/intent to play that part that way. you can hear that sound a lot....with fretless basses!

6. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    I only knew the live version! The video was on heavy rotation back in the day

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Always thought he had dark hair.:meh:
    O'Hearn on right.
    O'Hearn.jpg O'hearn 1.jpg O'Hearn 3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    tindrum likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021