Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by z4knerd, Jul 3, 2004.

1. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    i went to a music store with my friend bc he needed a new guitar, so while i was there i tried out a ton of basses, and on the wall was a fretless (used :( ) so i thought i'd try it.. and wow, fretless basses are amazing - but i have not found one to purchase for under 2 grand.. i have a very low limit, around 350.. are there any good quality fretless for aroudn that price? thanks

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    People seem to be fairly impressed with their Brice and SX fretless and fretted basses, which usually retail from rondomusic.com for between $150-$300.

What brand was it that you tried?

3. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    i wish i was paying attention to the brand i was just testin stuff out and enjoyin it :\ so i am not quite sure, but it was being sold used for 550, and it was in not good condition (the knobs were all wiggly loose, bridge had rust on it) but i definitely liked the feel of hte fretless

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    An inexpensive fretless isn't hard to find, especially if you look at used ones. A great fretless will probably run from about $1000 new/used and up. I picked up a used 1977 (AFAIK) Guild B301F right around your price range. Cort makes some very nice lower priced fretlesses. If you're new to fretless it's probably better to start on the lower cost end. They can be harder to sell than most fretted basses should you decide you don't want it.

I agree, fretless is fun:D

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Thanks Brad,
    I was reading two posts regarding fretless basses; I responded to the wrong one. The one that this should have been in had references to basses made by CT, F-bass, etc. I will move it!

6. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I have one that has been pretty good to me and they are abundant in the $300 - $350 range.

7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i have a yamaha fretless 4 str. it's pretty nice and not expensive. +/- 350 euro new.

8. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I would also suggest a Yamaha. They do make a very nice bass for the money. I recorded on a Yamaha P-Bass copy that cost less than $200 and it was very decent sounding.

9. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Aria Igb-68 has a fretless version not sure about the other igb's but that should fit ok in your budget