1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElMon, Sep 3, 2005.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Hello fellow bass freaks. I need your collected expertise in the matter of choosing a fretless 5 string. To make it easy, I've narrowed it down to two and only two choices.
    1) Unlined Stingray 5 with Piezos.
    2) Original model Gary Willis Signature 5'er, with the ebony board instead of the ebonol. That being said, is the ebonol-board model that much different than the ebony one?

I'd like your input outside of price, and especially would like to hear from those who have actually played these models. I think I'm leaning towards the Willis, but am worried about it being a one-trick-tone-pony. Thanx in advance.

2. I'd go with Willis.. It's MUCH lighter (if that's a preference) and much easier to play (to me, that is).. You just have to love its thin neck and it doesn't seem like a one trick pony to me.. If you have a softer touch, you'll probably love it..I don't like fretless Stingrays (not a fan of that punchy-cut-through-anything sound), but haven't tried any (new) 2HB models yet...I'd check 'em out, if I were interested in fretless Stingrays..
    The newer GWBs are also wonderful instruments and are also quite a bit cheaper (difference is about 400$ or more over here); I haven't had any problems with newer fingerboards, loved them all..
    Good luck in your quest and let us know, which one you'll be taking home! :)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That stingray 5 with piezo would definitely be my choice, i love ernie balls..

4. I had a fretless Stingray(5)- I liked it, but dumped it for a Warwick(not nearly as nice a fretless, IMO/E :rollno: ). I kind of wish I still had the Stingray. It had the piezo upgrade- very versatile. Oh yeah- I also prefer wider spacing. I like Ibanez in general, but have never played a Willis.

5. I have no experience with fretless stingrays, but the Gary Willis is super super nice! A purpose built fretless tone machine!

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Domo Arigato Gozaima****a, Bass Samurai.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Translation: Thank you very much bass samurai.

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd say the Willis, just because I hate MM (I think I'm the only one, too)