Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElMon, Sep 3, 2005.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Hello fellow bass freaks. I need your collected expertise in the matter of choosing a fretless 5 string. To make it easy, I've narrowed it down to two and only two choices.
    1) Unlined Stingray 5 with Piezos.
    2) Original model Gary Willis Signature 5'er, with the ebony board instead of the ebonol. That being said, is the ebonol-board model that much different than the ebony one?

I'd like your input outside of price, and especially would like to hear from those who have actually played these models. I think I'm leaning towards the Willis, but am worried about it being a one-trick-tone-pony. Thanx in advance.

2. I'd go with Willis.. It's MUCH lighter (if that's a preference) and much easier to play (to me, that is).. You just have to love its thin neck and it doesn't seem like a one trick pony to me.. If you have a softer touch, you'll probably love it..I don't like fretless Stingrays (not a fan of that punchy-cut-through-anything sound), but haven't tried any (new) 2HB models yet...I'd check 'em out, if I were interested in fretless Stingrays..
    The newer GWBs are also wonderful instruments and are also quite a bit cheaper (difference is about 400$ or more over here); I haven't had any problems with newer fingerboards, loved them all..
    Good luck in your quest and let us know, which one you'll be taking home! :)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That stingray 5 with piezo would definitely be my choice, i love ernie balls..

4. I had a fretless Stingray(5)- I liked it, but dumped it for a Warwick(not nearly as nice a fretless, IMO/E :rollno: ). I kind of wish I still had the Stingray. It had the piezo upgrade- very versatile. Oh yeah- I also prefer wider spacing. I like Ibanez in general, but have never played a Willis.

5. I have no experience with fretless stingrays, but the Gary Willis is super super nice! A purpose built fretless tone machine!

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Domo Arigato Gozaima****a, Bass Samurai.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Translation: Thank you very much bass samurai.

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd say the Willis, just because I hate MM (I think I'm the only one, too)