1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless Piccolo???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YCBass, Sep 9, 2008.

1. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I've been GAS'in bad for a fretless, but I've also been listening to a ton Stanley and the new SMV record lately so I thought to myself, "Can I do both?"

Has anyone tried this? How does it sound? I know it's possible since we've seen fretless 6's that have a .28-.32 (or whatever) high C string.

I think it would be cool as a "solo" instrument, if it's even still a bass.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

can't think of why it wouldn't, and it sounds pretty bitchin'

3. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Some of the advantages of a piccolo bass, like being able to play chord melodies and such in a good register, will be much more difficult on a fretless. keep that in mind.

5. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Michael Manring's Hyperbass has piccolo strings on it even though he tunes them differently a lot of the time.

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    OH MAN!!!!!!!!

I'm doing it! If only to be able to play half the stuff I heard.

Thanks for that!

7. slamzilla

slamzilla Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    Yep,
    Jeff kicks ass.
    Check out his album. There is some great stuff on it.
    Z

8. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Is he playing...upside down on the strings?

9. slamzilla

slamzilla Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    Yep!

10. I could not make the high F on my fretless 7 work like I wanted/envisioned. I'm sure it was 99.9999% my spotty technique but IME the mwah is hard to get above the G string; I'm thinking there's a point where the lesser mass of a C or F string makes it more difficult to do the fretless thing well.
    I replaced the 7 w/a 6 & like it much better.
    Of course Jeff Schmidt could get great fretless tone from a rotten-balsa(the new spalt;))Wish bass on fire. With both arms removed. :cool:
    Oh & BTW, I can't chord for crepe on my 6 either. :atoz:

11. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Conversely, it wasn't until I played a fretless 7-string that I was convinced of the validity of ERB's. The high F on the fretless Conklin I played had amazing mwah...though, due to its register, it sounded more like a sitar than a bass.

To the OP: I have always thought a fretless piccolo bass -- especially something bright & clean like a Pedulla Buzz -- would be a killer voice for melodies.

12. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    hmmmm.now I'm thinking of going pic with my Smiths

13. Kinda depends on the scale length and tuning. I've been working with Cliff Bordwell and we're gonna shoot for a 33" scale fretless 7 AND I'll be tuning to E instead of F so I can use a thicker string to avoid anemic and sitar sounds.