1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretless + pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by envika, Sep 11, 2008.

1. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    do any of you TBers play fretless with a pick?

2. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I do when I can (I don't own a fretless currently), to get that sort of Steve Swallow sound that is all nice and groovey.

3. i've only done this on a few occasions while recording because i wanted a very specific sound. otherwise, it's not my cup of tea...

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Why does it matter if someone has done it before you?

5. I think he's mainly trying to see how others liked the results.

6. no noone has ever done it before its your idea your self patent it.(please note tongue firmly stuck in cheek) Ive never really played with a pick much but I am also just picking bass back up after like i dont know more than a decade. and after reading your post I picked up a pick and my fretless. kinda liked it. my view is its another sound to put in your quiver of tools. you can never have too many "sounds" you can get maybee the experience will pay off when your trying to figure out a song and you go ."oh I know that sound thats a fretless with a pick"

just my 2 cents worth:)

7. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    i'm not surprised that it sounds good, i've just never heard of anyone doing it.

8. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    I'd love try something like that, as soon as I could get my hands on a fretless.

9. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Here you go:

10. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Check out a bassist named Monique Ortiz, and you'll get a very good idea of what fretless sounds like when played with a pick.

11. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Sting did. Listen to Roxanne

12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Mick Karn (Japan, et al) did as well...

13. pankykapus

pankykapus

Jun 25, 2007
    listen to Pigs (Three Different Ones) by Pink Floyd. Gilmour plays a fretless there with a pick. It sounds good, though I never really liked the tone of my pick playing on my fretless. But that's not bad, if you have an other type of tone in your hand :)

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    "Hey You" from the Wall is an even better example of fretless with a pick, except for the chorus. Grind grind grind...I hate chorus!

15. You can also listen to Carles Benavent, "father" of the flamenco bass playing.

16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Check out Rick Danko!

17. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    ..yuck..