1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretless replacement neck for P/J bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NormM, Oct 12, 2009.

1. NormM

NormM

Jun 26, 2009
    I have a cheap (Johnson...) J bass that I would like to convert to a playable fretless. I put EMGs in just to be able to use it, and the 'burst finish and white pickgaurd are actually decent. I would like to put a new fretless neck on this bass, and I actually prefer the P bass nut-width - any recommendations? (I have looked at the Warmoth site, and could use them, but they are not cheap.)

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Have you measured the neck pocket on the Johnson? Try to get a neck with the proper measurements. If the pocket is Fender size you can get MIM necks very reasonabally and they are good necks.

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    you could pick up an SX fretless P bass for around $100 and switch the neck... they're great necks as long as you know how to file down a nut and I think the profile is somewhere between a p and a j. plus this way you'd have an extra p-bass with a johnson neck as a fretted backup

4. NormM

NormM

Jun 26, 2009
    I think the pocket will work with Fender type necks. Any good sources for MIM necks? Also regarding the SX fretless - do they have standard dimensions in the pocket? I hope to get something nice, but not sure about spending $300+ for some I've seen.

5. NormM

NormM

Jun 26, 2009
    What do you think of ebonal fingerboards? (I have a Washburn T14 fretless that has a bad fingerboard - I'm not sure what it's made of. To me it has a strange sound.) I really like a mellow, string bass sound but one that can also be toned for a little more clarity and punch.

6. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've defretted a couple of necks, it's pretty straight forward.

7. Yeah, just defret the neck. I've done a couple as well. One with woodfill and the other with vinyl shims. Really easy and fun project.

8. NormM

NormM

Jun 26, 2009
    I am hesitant to try, because the neck is the main deficiency of the bass now, but I guess it wouldn't hurt, if I am planning to get rid of it anyway. I really like the idea of having no lines, though, and I like ebony. I wonder if defretting, either mine or another (MIM) neck, and then filling and dying the wood black would end up looking good?

9. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati