Fretless Rock Bassist - anyone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Judge, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Judge

Mar 26, 2004
    Follwoing a recent thread about Japan I started listening to Mick Karn and started going through my CD's to dig out more fretless bass playing. I generally prefer rock in all it's various formats and I as I was searching though my CD's I couldn't find any bassist that generally just plays fretless within a rock band format. Is there one?
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    If I remember correctly (which is rare) Tony Franklin played Fretless on most if not all of the Firm's tracks.
  3. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    When I saw Chicago Peter Cetera was playing a P fretless and singing. :eek:
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    "Rock" has MANY flavors...

some that I dig are:

Tony Franklin with the Firm and Blue Murder
    David J from Love & Rockets
    Sting with the Police
    Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as "rock", more like "pop", but the bass player on the late 70's double album (remember albums?) "Frampton Comes Alive" (Peter Frampton) played a maple fretboard P or J (can't remember-it was the seventies!) throughout the entire concert.
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  7. The guy from Pearl Jam. First album has very powerful rock fretless tone.
  8. though not entirely rock (but still damn good), the bass player for fishbone played fretless warwick thumb on quite a few tracks.

doesn't the bass player for Springsteen play a fretless spector?
  9. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sean Malone w/ Gordian Knot

Colin Edwin w/ Porcupine Tree (In Absentia!!!)

Steve DiGiorgio (sp?) w/ Testament, Death, Iced Earth (I think?)

Trey Gunn plays some fretless WarrStickBass on the newest King Crimson album, The Power To Believe

Oh, and of course: Les Claypool :smug:
  10. Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Patrick O'Hearn was known to play fretless when he played with Zappa. And if that ain't rock, mister, I'll eat my hat!
  11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Jeff Ament. He's very cool.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He might be a little obscure, but William Kopecky of the band Kopecky plays fretless in a pretty heavy rock vein. Don't forget the late great Rick Danko from the Band, and Freebo from Bonnie Raitts 70' albums.......both great players that played fretless pre Jaco.
  13. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Andy West - Dixie Dregs. :bassist:
  14. Bassis78

Dec 22, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I also believe Jason Newsted when he was in Metallica played some tracks of fretless on the black album....correct me if I am wrong folks!!!
  15. Dave Gilmour played a fretless in "Hey You" (The Wall), but whether you'd classify that as real rock, it's up to you.

Personally I play fretless in the school rock band (we play stuff like Evanescence and Cake) and it does a good job; I was worried about having too much of a jazz sound but it did well, and had a very hard kinda rough sound.

Whatever that is. :D
  16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm playing mosty fretless in the new band I've joined, which is kind of a combination of APC/Depeche Mode/Ministry rock type band.

Doesn't that Steve Digornio play fretless in a death metal band?

Jeff Ament is pretty darn cool, too.
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i play fretless on over half of our first cd and almost half of the 2nd one, including a few distorted fretless solos and some fretless slapping. :hyper: :)
  18. Judge

Mar 26, 2004
    Some interesting ones there. I'm not familiar with Tony Franklin and he may be one I have to check out.

With regards to Jeff Ament he does use a fretless on occasions but I don't believe he uses it as his main bass. Could be wrong though.

As for John Turner, maybe I'll have to invest in his CD
  19. I hear he's all right, but nothing on Jaco. 'Cos, you know, Jaco only needed four strings, this guy needs at least 20 on each bass.... :p j/k Mr Turner. :D
  20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Seconding, thirding... whatevering the Tony Franklin call. It hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but he's played some killer lines on keyboardist Derek Sherinian's "Planet X", "Inertia", "Black Utopia" and upcoming (Fall) solo albums. His fretless P-bass though Ampeg tone slays me, and I'm generally not a fan of "The Ampeg Sound". Odd... :eyebrow: