1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frustrating

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by alembicguy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    UPS at their finest!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382582604.151703.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Frustrating is Fedex popping a "missed delivery" note on my door when I had taken a day off from work to be there for the shipment and was sitting inside within 6' of the door he stuck it to...

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    UPS frequently "attempts" to deliver packages to my office without leaving the truck and approaching the door.

4. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Just put the following notation on your delivery instructions:

"OK to leave parcel on doorstep."

Know that if you do this, you must assume responsibility for anything which happens (to the parcel) subsequently.

Depending on the demographics of your particular neighborhood, this might not be prudent.

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Or have the items shipped to your work. You'll get it signed for, you'll get it earlier in the day, and you'll be there to play with it when it arrives instead of hoping it doesn't grow legs while chilling on your unattended front porch.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Uh..... Sooooooooooo are they supposed to reroute an entire truckload of stuff and try to read your mind as to when you will be home? I don't get your point. What SHOULD they do?

7. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Yes, delivery problems are frustrating but this is also frustrating:

P1010026_s.

P1010031_s.

This is my second UPS bass delivery (out of four) in which the bass attempted to drive itself through the end of the case because it was dropped on its head during shipping.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I had this happen with a 2000$ Dingwall...after UPS lied and faked a signature on the delivery and left it on my front porch about 15 feet from a busy street.

They've also pulled the no one home and once a "undeliverable house vacant", with a house that was inhabited by no less than 6 people in 2 apartments.

One time I sat on the front porch, watched them stop out front, not get out of the truck then have the tracking come up with the message about no one home. WHILE I WAS SITTING ON THE PORCH WITH MY LAPTOP WAITING. I called and stayed on hold for over an hour and made the driver come back after hours to bring me my box. He wasn't happy.

9. alembicguy

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I've had packages delivered with my signature forged also.
    Can't have packages delivered to where I work. I work in a secured area and nobody gets in that doesn't belong there.
    For the other comment.... I don't think they should read my mind but I think they should read the note I left for them on the door.
    Much easier to read a note not my mind but I'm assuming your a UPS employee, maybe even the guy in the picture.

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

Yeah, I've actually had more problems with the opposite tact: Call a vendor to find out where my massively overdue package is, they say "FedEx delivered it two weeks ago, here's the Proof Of Delivery (sic)" ...and on the FedEx doc it says "No Signature Required"

Um, I never told anyone no signature was required! And now my freakin' package is missing! Has happened to me at least a dozen times over the past 5 or 6 years.

11. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'd imagine that's grounds for firing at any of the major shippers. It's hard to believe someone's willing to risk losing their job over not having to go back the next day.
    Every business receives merchandise, supplies, etc. Your office may not be a delivery location, but there's gotta be a dock somewhere with your employer who accepts regular shipments.
    What does your note say? That you want the driver to return at your convenience, not theirs? That's not how any of the major shippers operate.

If you want your package available for you to pick up at your convenience, most will accommodate by putting it on "will call" at one of their hubs or even sometimes local stores.

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I've never had any trouble with the UPS guy who delivers to my house. I'm always getting bits of wood from one online source or another delivered, and the UPS driver is a woodworker himself, so we chat about what's in the box quite a bit. I've given him a note authorizing him to leave stuff on my porch, because I thankfully live in a good, quiet neighborhood. I've never had anything stolen from my porch.

At work, however, it's a different story. Every 3rd or 4th delivery I get from UPS is delayed at least a day because the guy doesn't bother trying to deliver the package. I get a lot of "LOCATION WAS CLOSED" or somesuch excuse. The guy is also extremely rude when he does show up, as if I'm wasting his time and annoying him by receiving a package.

13. Not hard to believe at all. They have their quotas that they have to make. They will also get a " “Failure to Maintain Demonstrated Performance Levels.” write up if they don't make enough. More than 2 will get you fired.

So either way, they're risking getting fired.

If the person whose signature they forged gets the package, they probably will never know or say anything.

14. alembicguy

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota

Closest UPS store and hub to me is 41 miles away and closes their public door daily 2 hours before I'm done with my job. Sorry if I'm upsetting you as a UPS representative but that's life.

15. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It doesn't take measurably longer to leave a tag on the door than to forge a signature. If one risks your livelihood, why bother?
    I understand you're venting, I was trying to offer solutions.

16. Because, recipient being there or not makes no difference to the “Failure to Maintain Demonstrated Performance Levels.” an undelivered package is an undelivered package as far as performance levels are concerned.

Lack of delivery (even if the person wasn't home) risks their livelihood as well.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My gripe: Order item through Amazon. Seller takes a week to ship. Item does not arrive by latest estimate. Tracking does not work. Check item and find it $6 cheaper (66% of the price I paid). Contact seller. Receive apology with an offer to refund me $3.

I just want my damned item. Amazon cant do anything about it yet.

18. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Never heard of this before, but I don't claim to be an expert in all facets of the shipping industry. Just trying to offer some real world solutions.

19. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    My UPS driver saved my house. I wasn't home at the time, but he drove by, thought something was wrong, drove back. He noticed smoke, and pounded on front and back doors. When no one answered, he called the fire department. This kept the property damage and contents loss to a little under $400k, but the majority of the structure was salvable.

The point? If he misses a time slot, I don't care, he may be saving someone else.

20. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    My neighborhood UPS guy always just leaves my deliveries on my porch. So far, no one has stolen anything, so I don't worry about it. If I requested that a signature be needed, I'd be in the same boat as y'all.