1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Zon Sonus 5 Burled Redwood Top

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bdemoss, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bdemoss

bdemoss

Jul 18, 2013
    Made in Redwood City, CA...S/N 1013089, ZP-4 Electronics, Bartolini pickups, black hardware...folks, this is one sweet bass, both aesthetically and aurally. I purchased it new from Bass NW several years ago, played it for a few months, and then put in in the (non-original) HSC, breaking it out every now and then, but it's time for it to find a new home.

CONS (wear)...not too much to speak of. There is a VERY small chip at the top of the headstock, a few minor scuffs by the B string, and (I swear I'm not making this up!) the cap on the EQ knob has 4 or 5 Corgi puppy tooth marks...didn't touch anything but that cap, but YEAH, we had 'dialogue' when I saw him do it.

Also included: Zon gig bag, Reunion Blues Chocolate leather Double Electric Bass Gig Bag (Kiwi Cordovan polish works GREAT as far as a color match), Zon 3.5" strap, and HSC (I think it's a TKL, but not positive).

Will ship via FedEx ONLY (to the Lower 48 on my dime), insured, and packed with love and my best wishes for many happy grooves to follow.

Asking $1,800, but will entertain reasonable offers.

Attached Files:

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    Nice axe!

3. bdemoss

bdemoss

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks, Tsar Nicholas!

4. lowlife6

lowlife6

Oct 6, 2002
    Minden, NV
    Does it have truss rod?

5. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Any trades you'd consider whatsoever?? Trades + cash from me? Straight trades? Trades + cash from you? Very interested!

6. bdemoss

bdemoss

Jul 18, 2013
    #4 - Left that part out, sorry. It has a composite neck, therefore (according to Zon's website), no truss rod.

#5 - No, thanks. I need to sell 'er.

Regards,

Brad

7. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    Are the controls Volume, Blend, Bass/Treble stack? Satin or gloss finish on the back of the neck? Matching headstock?

8. Levar

Levar

Sep 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Any chance of you selling it for 1500?
    Tight on cash from selling my Spector

Beautiful piece though, bump!

9. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    wow, gorgeous...

_several_ nice zons in the classifieds...wow

10. lowlife6

lowlife6

Oct 6, 2002
    Minden, NV
    #4 Actually, if you bought the bass new less than 3-4 years ago, there should be a truss rod. Zon started putting truss rods in them but I don't exactly from which year onwards.

The thing is that you'll have to remove the neck to adjust the rod, which is located at the base of the neck.

Contrary to claims, most older model Zon owners (especially 5 or 6 stringer) know that the neck will weaken over a long period of time (5-10 years of constant string tension) and the neck will be bent.

So having a truss rod will be a great reassurance for your buyers. IMHO, it's worth the trouble removing the neck screws (which are threaded inserts anyways) to check for a trussrod.

11. Do you have any other pictures available? Is that chrome or black hardware, hard to tell from the photo.

12. bdemoss

bdemoss

Jul 18, 2013
    Okay, here's the deal.

I never said that I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. It was made in 1999. I wasn't trying to mislead; to be honest, I couldn't remember exactly when I bought it ('twas later in 1999) I just (6:40 pm CST, 10/22/2013) got off the phone with the Zon factory, and the gentleman with whom I spoke admitted that yes, there have been instances of creep over the years, but that they are the vast minority (NOT 'majority', as has been suggested earlier in this thread). Zon started making basses in 1982, and they still have some from that era @ the factory that are just as true as the day they were made. No special care, they just made 'em right from the get-go. Sort of like 'pre-war Martins'.

NO. TRUSS. ROD. Evidently, THIS neck was one that didn't need one (as most of them didn't), and if hasn't by now (14 years, not a mere 5-10), it never will. Still as straight as an arrow, slicker than a greased piglet, and punchy as all get out.

He also said that whoever swings on this (just the bass, not including the gig bag I'm throwing in) for $1,800 will be getting a heck of a deal.

Kindest regards,

Brad

13. bdemoss

bdemoss

Jul 18, 2013
    couple more pics.

Attached Files:

14. bdemoss

bdemoss

Jul 18, 2013
    bump

15. lowlife6

lowlife6

Oct 6, 2002
    Minden, NV
    Apologies Brad, I wasn't thinking when I posted my personal experience (re Zons) on your FS thread. For sure, words from a Zon employee holds more weight than mine.

Good luck with your sale. Your burl top is to die for.

16. bdemoss

bdemoss

Jul 18, 2013
    SOLD. $1,750.00. No harm, #15.