Fujigen or FGN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Lowend Lobster and the guy above are really good at demonstrating how nice Fujigen basses are. Unless they signed a no competition contract with Ibanez, why are FGN instruments not more available in North America?

2. Well, actually, Dr. C., in a tentatively small way, they are:

Mighty Jazz

They have an American Sales Office in Cali, if you back out of that page and go roaming that site. I would suspect, that since many of the products they offer might, some would say, bear a striking resemblance to some other products on sale here, they may be testing the waters. Somewhat of a shame to me in that with their resources and the right designer of original product, they are very capable of building something as good as anything out there. Lord know they build enough for other manufacturers you've probably already bought an FGN product; that alone may keep them sidelined as an original manufacturer, too many phantom-build agreements with most of the big companies.

MattZilla and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. I really don't know the state of business / legal relations since the so-called 'lawsuit days' with some of the MIJ manufacturers, but I would love it if we could easily buy Bacchus, Moon, Atelier, and the other fabulous Japanese instruments here.

NigelD, Fishheadjoe and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    I don’t know if you’re still interested in fgn basses but I have one for sale here on tb and on reverb.
    For Sale/Trade - FGN (FujiGen) Mighty Jazz 8.6LBS!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Not a fan for the emg equiped j basesses but that one sounds amazing!

6. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    The one I posted the classified link is the same one in the video. I’m just needing to sell to pay for a 5 string. Otherwise I’d keep it.

7. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    On the subject of FGN basses, I'm looking at maybe picking up 5 string at some point. They seem to be well regarded. My only issue is that the CFS thing sounds like snake oil.
    What are some opinions on them?

8. I played an FGN ‘strat’ several months back and it was fantastic. Really amazing.

9. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014

No problem with this tech: CFS is solid physics, apparently has no negatives — I'm yet to experience any negatives and I've been in possession of CFS tech for over a decade now — they say no future third-party fretwork will be hindered, complicated, or differing in any way from traditional fretwork, taking them at their word — no specialization / retooling required; there's a distinct appeal, sound-wise and effort-wise, as the system addresses asymmetry across the length of a standard neck which is traditionally countered by subtle bending of strings. Specifically, it's about string-length.

Here's a diagram which may help illustrate this,
    CFS diagram.png

Using a hand-fan shape here, to help reflect the physical nature of a standard neck and the shift in width across the neck length — useful here because of the obviously exaggerated dimensions of a fan compared to a neck, hoping to help highlight the actual science involved.

Note that the center magenta arrow (string) is plainly shorter than the two at each edge. This discrepancy in comparative length, produced by the fan-effect on a standard, fretted neck with a standard bone and bridge, is further exaggerated, the closer you get to the bridge, as the width of the neck increases.

Even the smallest difference in length / geometry has bearing on the math implicit in uniform frequency adjustment / tuning / fretting. Those necessary micro-adjustments, required during tuning, reveal just how important accuracy is, in tuning and in note production, and how even tiny irregularities and errors play a significant and deleterious role.

Effectively, lengthening a string, by stringing it, along each extremity of a fret-board, between a standard nut, along a standard, fretted neck, towards a standard bridge, with no compensation for the fan-effect, produces another equation — a different dimension — each time you move from fret to fret, along the length of a standard neck — one that subtly corrupts tuning.

CFS effectively works to counter that subtle length extension, of the longer, outside strings (the E and G strings on a four-string bass) as they travel towards the bridge, effectively maintaining the geometry of the lower neck, along the entire length of the board.​

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  10. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    My FGN 4 string Neo Classic P is incredibly smooth, easy to play, easy to set up, and easy to intonate. The neck is where they put most of their effort in manufacturing IIRC. It’s the smoothest neck I’ve played, I’m not sure if it’s because of CFS or if it’s just really well made. Regardless, I would be more worried about the pickup(s) than the neck on a FGN bass, this is usually their weak spot.

Sponson Thrisby likes this.
  11. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I LOVE Greco and Tokai instruments.

I have only seen one for sale used in a local store. I wish I knew for sure why some are so hard to find.

The only Tokai I do own was made for Fender.

Fujigen has also made instruments for Fender as well.

12. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    How would they compare in value to a Fender jazz?
    For example, the Neo Classic Series, Expert series, or Boundary. How do they line up in quality and value to, say, MIM, MIA, etc.?

13. P Cheen

P Cheen Chelsea Blue is the colour! Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    I’m just generalizing here, but usually MIJ (and especially made by Fujigen) is on-par if not better than MIA.

tindrum and Sponson Thrisby like this.
  14. taconeko

taconeko

Mar 13, 2020
    Tokyo, Japan
    According to Fujigen’s company profile page, they aim to market and sell their guitar products to overseas distributors and guitar makers. When that will happen, who knows.

In my limited experience playing their FGN line, I’ve never had a bad experience. The instruments are consistently well made (though I did find their instruments to be somewhat heavy).

In Japan, FGN is considered to be a mid-range brand.

In terms of comparing to MIJ Fender basses, I have found FGN to be more consistent and provide better value for the money. That said, MIJ Fender basses (particularly their limited run models) are very nice instruments. I just think they cost a bit much.

15. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    Well, I took the leap and ordered one. Some videos by LowEndLobster had a part in it.
    I'll post a NBD when I receive it.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    @Mammoth_Bass could maybe shed some light here. I know she played one for a while.

17. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014

Try this one on for sighs :) (Give or take all the case candy :wacky:). They're not getting any cheaper. But these beasts incorporate Timeless Timber, ancient and rock solid, a rare gift from the fabled Lady in the Lake :ninja: Not to be sneezed at.​

s-l1600.jpg

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021