1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Full Circle volume balance

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by David Morris, Nov 6, 2013.

1. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    At higher stage volumes, I am experiencing a pronounced drop-off in volume on my G string which becomes more noticeable above first position. I'm using a Full Circle into a HPF-Pre II into various combo or head/cab configurations. The lack of G-string volume seems to be independent of whatever amp I'm using at the time. Strings are Spirocore Mittels.

Anybody having a similar problem, or any suggested solutions? Thanks.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have never experienced this, but there could be many contributing factors. Subscribed.

3. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    i noticed that the balance of the adjusters affects the E and G strings the most. it could be that your G side adjuster is too high, and its choking the resonance of the string.

basically, do you feel like the problem is there without the amp?

4. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    The G string side adjuster is slightly higher than the E side - a millimeter, maybe a little more. I don't feel like the problem is there playing acoustically.

5. Hi,
    I was just searching the forums with a similar problem.
    I had a higher volume gig on NYE where the EAP pickup didn't cope, so was forced to use the FC only.

I am putting it down to the Pickup surface of the FC facing down towards the body. I have a relatively even degrade of volume with the E rich and full sounding and getting quieter towards the G string, then slowly disappearing as I get higher up the neck. Acoustically, my bass is even across the range. I had the same problem regardless of string gauge.
    I am considering putting the FC under the G string but expect the opposite problem. Both of my adjusters are even at about a millimetre each.

Not sure where to go with this so watching with interest.
    Cheers

Cheers,

6. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    funny, I get this feeling on all pickups. I think it comes from the way most pickups are designed to grab vibrations from the E side of the table or bridge. Raising the action seems to pull the G string even further away from the E side and table. Over the years I've realized that a low G sting seems to amplify much better than one with high action.

I like the sound I get from the Lifeline pickup on the G. The E is a little muddy though.

7. Update
    So I moved my FC to the G side of the bridge and was amazed at how different it sounded. Definitely a thinner sound yet it was more even levels across the board. E was a little bit muddy but my band immediately noticed the difference and loved my "new sound". Soloing was easier with better overall clarity and the arco sound is what surprised me the most, it was a tighter and more compact sound, very easy to use. Everyone loved the change but I did feel it was missing something (maybe low end) although it did solve my disappearing G string problem.

Of course the day after i did this and the rehearsal, I got an inner ear infection and currently still deaf in one ear, so can't really settle into the sound or comment further.

First impression of swapping sides with the FC was definitely positive.
    Might be worth a try

8. I was facing exactly the same problem, but with Revolution Solo II. Actually 've been facing this since I bought the pickup almost three years ago, but I got used to a weaker G. My amp is GK MB150E, but the same occurred with other amps. The same weak G always happened too with Fishman BP100 (wich is by now retired). G string is low, 6 or 7mm.

But then I got tired and decided to investigate and try something to solve this and keep using Revolution Solo.

Final solution after several frustrations: dampened the tailpiece afterlength with a cut piece of rubber pipe (G, D, A, Ab, Bb, and B notes were ressonating too much on the afterlength and I suppose that when amplified were stroking G harmonics).
    Other effective thing was facing the pickup towards the top instead of the strings, E side. Now I'm getting an even sound full sounding G, really the acoustic one, couldn't be happier. And reduced 90% feedback issues.
    Arco sound is amazing, sometimes i have to to check if it's really on because it's just my bass but louder.
    The "bad" thing about reproducing the real acoustic sound of my bass is that if there's anything wrong like an uneven acoustic sound, any ressonating frequency, buzz, the amplification will just "amplify" it, no fix or platting anything. For instance, my A string sounds acoustically poor on the first positions almost no fundamental, and Revolution Solo don't fix it, just reproduces. On the other hand BP100 could mask it somehow and made those notes sound good, but it wasn't the true sound.

My happy ending is that these simple improvements on RSII stopped me from spending another $230 on Full Circle, which I was decided to get without being sure it would resolve. And the funny thing was that actually the amplification problems concerned mostly my bass acoustics characteristics, the only thing done about the pickup was turning its face to the top.
    Forgot to mention, another thing was using a copper wire in the pickup jack to isolate an eletricity noise that was affecting Bb and making it rattle and feedback, especially Bb on G string and a little less on A string, Bb octave lower.