Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full Size Templates

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassMan257, Mar 13, 2006.

1. hey... i was wondering how to make a body template, and what i should use to do so?

just wondering...

also, places to get the stuff would help alot... thx

2. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    There is a variety of material available to use for templates. I use 3/4" MDF from Home D. Some use marine plywood or birch plywood.
    Using thin material could mean the template bends under the weight of a router when routing pick-up cavities, for example.
    Spend LOTS and I mean LOTS of time perfecting the contours and the overall layout on the template!!
    It's much easier and CHEAPER to correct a mistake made on MDF versus expensive tonewood.

Jon

3. what does mdf stand for?

cause it would be easy for me to pick a couple peices of that up..

given i still dont have a blank or anything, I shouldnt need it for a while..

but im having problems designing basses correctly to size... i mean, when its on a piece of paper, its alot different than when you can almost fit it in your hands...

I dont know where im going with that... but hey, have fun trying to figure it out

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    3/4" MDF (medium density fiberboard) is also my preference. After getting the shape how you want it, be it with files, sandpaper, etc., I find that a razorblade is the handiest tool. You can use it as a small scraper to remove the roundover that the sandpaper leaves, getting a nice perpendicular edge.

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    MDF is goooooooood. It machines like goofy and cheap. You can also buy the 24"x24" chunks. If your top routing your bearing has more surface to ride on.