Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full-Time Piccolo ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass of Galt, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Hey T-B'rs - I'm ready to add a full time Piccolo bass to the arsenal - (I'm tired of changing strings and set-up every few weeks) and I'm looking for opinions about middle of the road basses that have nice high-end response and great playability. I already have Carvins and am looking for something different.

Thanking you in advance! :D

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez Soundgears make great pics. I use an SR400.

3. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    thanks - the Ibys certainly are affordable.

What's the deal with Schector - I've never heard of them before - any good?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like some of their guitars. NOT their basses except the DeLeo Model T.

5. I agree about the SDGR's, I had an older 1306 neck-thru, and just had to brainstorm the string sizes but it is great! What sustain! I didn't have to change either the nut or intonation.
    Nothing better than a piccalo 6 string. :)
    The other cool thing is I always thought the spacing was a little close with regular strings, once the pic was strung, the spacing is perfect.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

6. I have an SR 406 Six string (Ibanez) natural maple finish, in mint condition, for sale if your'e interested PM me. These make dynamite piccolos.

7. Being a fender fan, I went with the Squier Bronco. 30" scale, maple fretboard...ahhh. strung it with .018 GHS strings, annoys the HELL out of guitar players at jams...

L

8. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I use my MIM Fender jazz bass and it works great. I didn't even have to change the nut.

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    The best one I've heard was a Yamaha TRB6P. It's my main player (strung up standard), but the guy I bought it from used it as a piccalo. The piezo saddles made for an killer sounding pic. You can pick up used ones on ebay for just over a grand. Last one I saw went for like $1200. Yamaha has the TRB6PII that has replaced the original, but they get silly prices for those new ones.

I liked the previous posters idea about using a short scale bass like the Bronco...sounds interesting. It would certainly make the string buying process a whole lot easier. ;)

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I would think a short-scale bass would be pretty good for that. Maybe one a them Fender Mustang RIs? Pretty cheap these days...

11. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    HA!! of course karma would simply send us a heavy lefty keyboard player to level the playing field! :eek:

I've been just popping the D'Addario pic set on my Carvin LB75 and adjusting the set-up - so I'm pretty sure I want to keep my full time pic a full scale bass.

The added problem with my requirement is that I'm a lefty. Soundgears do come in a lefty model - the 300 I think. I've also thought of picking up a used lefty Musicman - 3 times the price as the Soundgear.

3 times better bass though?? Hmmmm :confused:

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Great thread!!

I *think* that Jim Laughlin (percussionist from moe. who plays God knows how many instruments, including piccolo) uses a SDGR for his piccolo, at least that's what it looks like to me.

Question: What sort of nut adjustements need to be made to accomodate piccolo strings?

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    More than likely, you'd need smaller nut slots to hold the smaller strings. Probably a little deeper cut slots as well.

But, it seems like most people in this thread have gotten away with not having to do it though /shrug

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I never replaced mine. Makes going back easier. Also the higher tension holds the strings in the bottom of the slots, so it's not a problem.

15. viper jazz

viper jazz Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    So is everyone using the same piccolo tuning here? And what about 4 strings vs. 6 strings?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Want a six string piccolo? Buy a guitar :p

I use EADG an octave up on my Pics. Light gauges and high pitches often cause debates among other musicians. I like telling people that guitar solo was really a bass solo :)

17. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    I actually use the piccolo set-up tuned down a 4th and also for altered tunings (usually lower as well) - because it keeps the integrity of the "bass" sound intact. I actually use piccolo much more like manring does - it still sounds like a bass - only more melodic and yet not quite guitar-ish. ;)

I also kept the regular E string on the low end (cuz it's a 5'r) and tuned that down as well so I still had the typical bass sound in there. It's weird - but I really dig it. Kinda makes me wanna go with another 5 string for the pic.

18. I was surprised as much as anyone that the nut needed no changing.
    And the tuning I use on my 6 is BEADGC octave up. And it's nothing like a guitar, the sustain and large scale make it perfect, well at least for me. :) And of course no half step guitar "b" thing to mess things up.
    The reason I built it was to have a doubled bass part simulating a 12 string paired bass, pan left and right and what a cool sound. Someday I actually want to really to really do it as pairs in a 6 string layout.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yesterday I tried out a piccolo string set on my Rickenbacker, and it definitely needs a new nut for it to work right. The A and D strings are fine, but the E and G string sit too low and lay across the first fret. To get those two off the fret I have to raise the action and in the process raising the middle two strings to Guitar-Center-neglected-instrument action (you know, 3 miles off the fretboard ;) ) (and curse the Rickenbacker bridge and its no-individual-string-saddle-height-adjustment-design.)

Unless anyone has some secret tips they wish to share that I may be overlooking!