1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone Bass-drive MOSFET edition?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nad, Nov 30, 2006.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Anybody seen these for sale yet? It's in that big Bass Player comparison this month, but the closest thing I can find (other than normal Bass-drives) is this:

[​IMG]

Just to clarify, I'm not interested in the normal version, if I was I would've bought one by now. For whatever reason the MOSFET bit has my interest piqued, so there you go. Cheers and such.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Also, samples are here.

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Is this pedal actually for bass or is it designed for guitar?

3. Well I have no idea how the bass version sounds, but my dad just got the exact MOSFET guitar version you have shown there, and it sounds phenominal.

Don't know if that helps you, but Fulldrive makes awesome stuff.

4. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Nad, I usually keep a close watch and I haven't heard or seen anything about a new bass-drive mosfet version.

I'm really interested now, and if I find anything I'll let you know.

The standard bass-drive is right on par with the hematoma and I had a hard time deciding which to remove from my board (lack of space) :(

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I'm curious as to where the mosfets fit into the circuit and if they are at all involved in the clipping circuit. From what I can tell in the regular Bass-Drive the clipping is done by a pair of diodes in the feedback loop of the op amp.

6. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    Yeah, I think I'll finally try one out once this one gets released. I've been curious about the Fulltone for awhile but have avoided it because it seems everyone and their mother has one. :D
    According to the Bass Player thingy, it switches the clipping portion between the diodes and this newfangled MOSFET chingus. Sorry, I might have used too many technical terms there. :smug:

7. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    Just got an email from Mike:
    So there we have it.

They come in pints? I'm getting one.

8. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    I know I'm just talking to myself at this point, but fulltone.com has been updated with this picture:

[​IMG]

One of these, some patch cables, a power supply, and my board will finally be done. For now... [/ominously]

9. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    they should've kept that red/beige colour scheme

10. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    And what exactly does mosfet do? :)

11. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    A MOSFET is a type of transistor. In a regular Fulldrive/Tube Screamer diodes are used for clipping. MOSFETs are substituted for the diodes in the clipping stage and just give a different character to the distortion. (simple explanation: Transistors and diodes are both semiconductors, and similar in construction, + and - silicon (or germanium) layers sandwiched together. A xsistor has three layers a diode has two. So you can use part of a transistor in the same way you use a diode). If you want to know how they clip the signal read the TS write up at www.geofex.com.

12. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Nad, you must speak from inexperience......your board will most definitely NOT be done :D
    You are getting into dangerous territory by building a board.

I've tried telling myself the same thing over and over and over..... that was a few thousand dollars back.

13. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    *ascends first of 12 steps* :D

14. This is pretty interesting, is there any price difference.

And not to derail the thread, but - excane, whats the difference in size between the Hematoma and the Bassdrive, I'm tempted by both but only have a limited amount of space left on my board.

15. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The fulltone is slightly larger. Also, because of the angle on the front of the fulltone, it makes it awkward if you wanted to turn the pedal sideways because then the switches are slightly skewed down.

On the hematoma, the switches are perfectly vertical so it's easier to turn the pedal sideways and the switches are still oriented the same. Hope that makes sense.
    (this is what I'm doing as I re-work my board in the next few days)

Here is a closeup of both on my board for the size difference:

closeup1.

16. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    Hey, your Psilocybe looks a lot cooler than mine! :D
    Not that I've seen, looks like this is just the new version of it. List price is still $199 from Fulltone, and $179 street from people I've seen selling it.

17. Thanks all, hmm I still think the Hematoma is the one for me, I just want to get one imported so it will cost about half the price!

18. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    Hematomas are great! :D

Okay, I found one and bought it from http://www.ballewsmusic.net/ so hooray! Now my forthcoming Hematoma v. Blue Berry writeup will add a Bass-drive MOSFET to the mix. I'm an overdrive whore!

19. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I've been waiting for this Hematoma vs Blue Berry writeup...and now that the Bassdrive will be added, this will help me out a lot! I've been waiting for weeks for my local guitar shop to get the Bassdrives in so that I could do a head-to-head with the Hematoma.

20. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

you must record comparison samples. there is no debating this. if you don't... well...

[​IMG]

:D