Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FullTone Bassdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hamzter, May 15, 2005.

1. I was wondering what everybody's opinions are of this pedal, I've been looking for a good overdrive pedal, I tried it out in the store but I'd like to hear from people who have had extended amount of time with it.

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    freekin amazing! I love the bass-drive...I tried alot of OD/distortion pedals until finally settling on this one...killer smooth OD to nasty distortion, with no loss of lowend frequencies. Plus its true bypass, so you dont have to worry about it sucking your tone. :bassist:

3. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    I think the best way to describe it is it’s probably the drive pedal you have been looking for the whole time.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Had mine for a few years. Best bass OD ever IMHO.
    Holds the low end. Very versatile. True bypass.

5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Once I read that Jack Bruce used one (probably for the endorsement, but even so) I jumped on it.

Forgetting that, it simply rocks. Great pedal!

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    What's the most you guys would pay for one of these? Compare it to the Boss OD bass units if you've used them both.

I tend to agree with a lot of people who say the Boss units sound more like a fuzz unit, I'm pretty happy with the Boss but the Fulltone is very intriguing. Also looking at the Big Muff units.

I really am digging the dirt tone the bass player from Chevelle has going on in the new tune "The Clincher" if anyone's familiar with that tune.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought mine new for $179 about 2 years ago, give-or-take a few months. It's really a great pedal that sounds exactly like my bass, but with distortion. Too many pedals I've tried impart a big sonic footprint all over my tone. This is why I'm so in love with the Fulltone.

IMO, it's best settings are from mild-to-medium overdrive. It has the ability to get nasty, as previously alluded to, but that's not the pedal's forte. If you want that, get a fuzz (a la Wolly Mammoth).

8. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I found it was cold, sterile i'd say, having my bass simply distorded wasn't for me I needed to have a special distortion sound.. So I settled on a big muff... Im going to build a special loop box for it in order to have a low pass filter on clean and hi& mids into the muff

9. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i'm not sure if you've seen this b4 or not, but this is Australia's answer to the Fulltone:
    [​IMG]
    Pure Valve Overdrive circuitry
    Three band EQ.
    Specially tuned for Bass guitar
    Retains solid bottom end with overdrive

10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Agreed 100%...I use a woolly mammoth when i want completely over the top fuzz. IMO the fulltone sounds best with the overdrive around 12:00-1:00.

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    By the volume knob, it says "Pull for Comp-Cut." What does that mean?

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    engages a different mode, which is less compressed and more open sounding. I preferred comp cut more. On the newer fulltones, there's a three position switch instead of the old push/pull vol knob

13. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    Is it possible to have a complete clean boost and OD with this one in compcut with drive to Zero and OD/dist on the boost channel??

14. Rod Torfulson

Rod Torfulson

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Yes this is possible since overdrive and boost are independent of each other.

However in comp cut mode there is a significant gain difference between the two with boost being much louder. This is the only downside to the Bassdrive for me. I prefer to use comp cut mode (it's more dynamic) but I cannot dial up a little bit up of overdrive and alot of boost since the gains will be drastically different.

Other than that, it is an great pedal. I used it last Saturday on a gig and it just rocked. For me it is way better than a Boss ODB-3 that I returned after one rehearsal.

15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    ha ha...same thing happened with me. garbage.

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, that ended up being the big issue for me and in the end why I sold it.

17. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    HAhaaa!!!

finally somebody that shares my pointof vue I really had trouble with it as I wanted it to be a boos/oD and not an OD/Dist or boost/more boost pedal!

18. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I agree...the comp/cut sounds great, but it's drastically different in volume, I haven't been able to get my settings right in that mode. However, in normal mode I have my od setting then I can hit the boost to increase volume/gain.

I use my sansamp programmable for my clean tone, and clean boost. The fulltone works tremendously with it.

19. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just got a hold of a used mint condition Fulltone Bassdrive for a very cheap price here and all I can say is that I am simply amazed by the Unit`s Tone and versatility !!!

I used the comp cut mode with the Yorkville XS800H XC808 setup and it helped getting a more defined notes with tons of sustain and a bit of growl. The overdrive settings are definitely letting the True Tone ofthe Bass shine as well. After the EBS multidrive, this is my favourite choice for overdrive. And, I tried the SansAmp BDDI as well, which did not do it for me !!!!

20. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Is it worth plugging it in to the wall? I've had one for a while now and I've always used it on batteries....

-Growler