Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fully Carved Bulgarian Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 14, 2006.

1. From Gillihur Music. Are these any good basses? It sounds to good to be true. Fully carved for 2075 and 5 string for 2325$. I heard the recording on how the bass sounds. It's pretty good. Does anyone have any personal experiance with these basses?

2. Use the search function. There have been MANY threads about Bob Gollihur's Bulgarian basses.

3. Thanks

4. I have a 5-string larger (4/4 or 7/8, depending who asks) carved DB from Kremona-Bulgaria LTD. via Bob Gollihur. I've had it for a year now and I really love this bass. I have no complaints whatsoever. Other members will differ and have frequently, but IMO, you can't beat one of these for the price. Well built, wonderful tone. They do not come completely set up, so there is a little work to do on the sound post, bridge and FB, but almost anything you get, you will want those areas tweaked to your preferences. I've used it for jazz, folk rock, classical. I've lugged to an average of 4 rehearsals a week. Once it fell over (in a well padded case). It didn't break anywhere (nasty bruise) and was barely out of tune. They are built like tanks, but sound much better and are pretty to look at as well. For an entry level carved bass, I think it is not too good to be true. You have to have enough faith to buy one sight unseen, but ordering it this way and having it shipped straight from the maker is what makes such a good deal possible. I admit that might be a little risky, but Bob is a very reputable and dependable fellow to deal with and I could fill pages with what I like about my bass. If something tragic were to happen to it, I would cry;- and then order another one. :)

5. Chucky

Chucky

Mar 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    I've had mine for 3 years and it fits my needs perfectly. My bass tech doesn't care for the weight but for the price it can't be beat. I've been playing since 4th grade strings in 1966 and have a plywood bass that my Dad bought new when I started. This is my first carved bass and for the type of gig I'm using it for it's great. Community orchestra here in Madison. The strings I like on it are Obligatos as opposed to Spirocore mediums on my plywood bass. The crate it arrived is a good trunk to keep around for storage or shipment. I put hinges on mine and store the older bass in it standing up. One thing that would be a good accessory is a bass wheel. I'm 49 years old and starting to creak in my bones and find with such a heavy instrument a wheel comes in handy. Got to add the fact that the majority of my playing now is done on my Fender Jazz bass although over the years the double bass has been my core instrument. Also, my wife just got a Toyata Corolla Matrix station wagon and I feel better about transporting it now in the subzero winters up here in Wisconsin. For a long time I wouldn't take it to practice because of my pickup truck. Even though the truck has a topper I'm careful with my equipment and can't see expensive repairs on a carved bass in my budget. The wood on it is definitely thicker than what you see out there on other basses. I don't know how susceptible to cracks it would be and don't want to find out. In our bass section it has a more resonant tone than the plywood basses on either side of me. The principal (we rotate) plays a Kay which sounds very full and deep but cost him $3500. Third chair, he honks. I feel the sound is more developed as an extension of the cellos because of the timbre. Just keep in mind though, it only cost me 2 grand and you can't compare it to a new Pohlman.

6. I felt compelled to share the reaction of a fellow bassist who had an opportunity to play my bass at a 4 day outdoor music festival I recently attended. I don't think he posts on talkbass, so I am not revealing his name, but this is the content of the e-mail I received from him regarding my Kremona-Bulgaria 5-string 4/4 size instrument from Bob Gollihur. I might add his reaction is similar to that of other players who have tried it out:
    I've sent him the link to Bob Gollihur's pages.:)