Fuming about Yamaha Cust. Service for a minute...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RustyStringer, Aug 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustyStringer

RustyStringer

May 18, 2010
    Indiana
    First off, Chris at Yamaha N. American, I apologize. You're just doing your job. My beef is with your "script."

I have been trying to obtain a part number for a replacement pickguard for my Yamaha BB234 bass. I was directed to a parts website; however, you have to use the specific part number to place an order...and there is no "lookup," on the website. I was instructed to call during the week, and someone would be able to get me that part number.
    I did just that. Here's how it went:

I was greeted on the phone by Chris, explained why I was calling, and....

Chris: I can give you that information, however Yamaha does not recommend ever modifying your instruments.

Me: Well, that's kind of weird, because EVERYONE (ok, not really everyone) mods their instruments to some extent.
    Chris: Anytime you do any kind of modifications, you could damage your instrument.
    Me: You realize that you have endorsed artists that take your instruments and drop in Dimarzio, Hipshot, Gotoh, etc. parts, right??
    Chris: Well, they are professionals...
    (Now I'm getting a little p-d off.)
    Me: It is 7 Phillips head screws, and a 1-ply piece of plastic.
    Chris: ....
    Me: I understand this isn't coming from you, but if that is what Yamaha wants you to tell their consumers, it's pretty condescending.
    Chris: I'm not sure I understand...?
    Me: You're telling me that Yamaha as a company doesn't think that I can operate a f-ing screwdriver?
    Chris: ........*speechless*
    Me: Now do you see where I'm going with this?
    Chris: I will take your information and have the parts department call you back.
    Me: Thank you for your time!

Maybe I'm the ass here, but really Yamaha...really?! God help them if they see all the other modifications, I did to it with non-Yamaha parts...

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sounds like you were unecessarily hostile.

boing, smurfco, Isaac_James and 73 others like this.
  3. Put yourself in their place. They are just doing their job. When our customer service/tech support gets a question from an end user about modifying one of our products, we need to give warnings as we do not know the skill level of the stranger on the phone. In the past, we learned about this the hard way. If we advise on how to do a modification to a product and then the customers screws it up, there have been times when they have called back saying we owe them complete replacement product. Also, if the customer starts using foul language, we consider that abuse of an employee and they are allowed to hang up on the customer. Just sayin.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  4. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    OP - sounds like you went nuclear pretty quick here. You could have been a little nicer and probably found more help.

That said, I have found Yamaha's customer service to be lacking. A couple of years ago I had a warranty issue with a Yamaha bass, they had no luthiers in my area (Silicon Valley, not some podunk town). Rather than bring a lutheri on board (I suggested one that works with many OEM's) Yamaha wanted me to take the bass to a pro-audio company 40 miles away - which I knew could not help me.

Good luck finding anything in their parts catalog (or a catalog).

5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Chris: I can give you that information, however Yamaha does not recommend ever modifying your instruments.

Me: Thank you for your concern, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

Chris: I will take your information and have the parts department call you back.

Me: Thanks Chris and have a nice day.

6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    Beef not about bass
    But customer service talk.
    This thread will move now.

Also, mom told me
    Catch flies easy with honey.
    Vinegar no good.

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    OP seem like a problematic personal on my view.

8. Lowandfat

Lowandfat

Jan 1, 2019
    Central NY
    Endorsed Artist Karl Hoyt Basses
    "I can give you that information, however Yamaha does not recommend ever modifying your instruments.
    Anytime you do any kind of modifications, you could damage your instrument."

I doubt I would have gotten snippy at the dude, but this would piss me off, too. It's none of your biz what I do with my instrument. There are times to spit the script and just get the job done, and without talking down to a paying customer you know nothing about.

9. Alessandro Cruz

Alessandro Cruz

Jul 23, 2018
    At least he didn't say something like "To change your pickguard, you must find an authorized dealer to get the job done, or your may void your warranty".

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Let me know if you get your pick guard. Heh.

groooooove, Ekulati, Yahboy and 3 others like this.
  11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Man, just delete this thread.

12. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    I would have just said thanks for the info please direct me to your parts dept. Not sure venting at him was necessary.

Yahboy, DJ Bebop and Ghastly like this.
  13. salmon256

salmon256

Jul 10, 2021
    NY
    You know, I get everyone has bad days, but it doesn't hurt to just be kind. Being in that business is hard enough, you also do not know what someone may be going through medically, mentally or anything. He could have a chronic illness, a death in the family, anything and making that person day worse doesn't achieve anything. Today I went to a tea shop, the cashier was extremely rude, but what will I achieve being rude back? Nothing. Move on and hope for the best. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and you apologize it happens we break but def think it wouldn't hurt to keep these in mind next time.
    All the best.

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Sounds like the OP got the conversation off track pretty quick

Bolsyo, yodedude2, Ikkir and 4 others like this.
  15. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My last interaction with Yamaha was great. My Yamaha EUB needed a replacement part where the endpin meets the collar and the tailgut. I couldn't find the part number anywhere. They sent me an exploded diagram of the bass by e-mail while we were on the phone once I talked them into the general area I was needing a part for. We located the part together and they shipped it the next day.

That's way more intrusive than a pick guard.

salmon256, b/o 402, Yahboy and 2 others like this.
  16. "Maybe I'm the ass here" Yes OP, you nailed it right there.

Sure these "corporate speak" tick the box type responses are a pain, but the guy on the other end is just doing his job, as instructed and his employment depends on doing what he's told.

It's like taking the frustration at cold calls from call centers out on the caller. Or yelling at a sales assistant, over an issue about store policy. Abusing the person who has no control, or ability to address your issue, serves no purpose other than to make the abuser feel better, while the abused feels like c*^p.

Ikkir, Kyle G1973, Chrisk-K and 3 others like this.
  17. It doesn’t really matter what their advice is as long as you can get the part. Don’t let the minor details get in the way of the goal.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    You called a $16 Billion global conglomerate manufacturer. They sell finished consumer goods through a variety of retail channels. You expected a corporate employee to help you buy a pick guard for your used bass guitar.

Just making sure we have all the facts.

Have you tried any of hundred pick guard makers. Or your dealer?

S-Bigbottom, Gorn, eddododo and 5 others like this.
  19. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    ‘I think instead of going off when Chris said he could give you your information, maybe letting him know you were ready with a pen and paper, might have been a more productive approach. JMO.

whero and Killing Floor like this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Another one!!!

On my next birthday
    I’ll start threads in wrong forums
    Hoping for haiku

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.