Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fun Bass lines

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Hookha, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    i looking for fun bass line
    like paul McCartney lines..
    rock'n'roll lines..
    like the bassline in the song
    "You Never Give Me Your Money" (beatles)
    its a very fun bass line
    or a walking bass lines...its fun...and a bluse is great to!

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Try Lady Madonna by the Beatles, great tab :)

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've never been a disco fan at all, but I was at a dinner last weekend and at one point the band played A Taste Of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oggie". I don't think I ever paid much attention to that song before but for some reason I did then and thought to myself what a fun little bass line that is.

Last night I downloaded a copy of it from iTunes, spent a little time working it out, and pretty soon I was funking out and having a great time. My wife came downstairs and was looking at me like she didn't know who I was. She's used to hearing things like rock, blues, prog, etc. and thought it was funny that I was playing that song.

I don't know it it's just that I was playing something so different from what I usually play but I was having a good time. :D

4. I don't know if this bassline is what you're looking for but I love playing the bassline to Fly By Night by Rush. I can't stop playing it! :bassist:

5. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Girls on Film by Duran Duran is a really fun line to play.

6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    STP - Interstate Love Song
    Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne
    Fat Albert Theme Song

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

For fun, I'd say Lenny Kravitz's "Mr. Cab Driver". Not complicated, just an enjoyable, simple but cool tune and bassline.

8. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Hookha,

I started out playing the blues, loved it and lived it. Walking basslines, Albert King's Born under a Bad Sign, Laundromat Blues... Even "Stand By Me" played long and slow had that soulful feel to it. Then I discovered....

FUNK.

Picked up the book '70s Funk and Disco Bass (101 Groovin Bass Patterns), and realized that it drew me in. It's *DIFFERENT*, it's up front and IN YOUR FACE. The notes aren't hard, but the timing is. If FUNK was a book it would be called "The Sound of Silence" as the rests, and playing ahead/behind the beat are just as important.

Put the accompanied CD in and listen to a few grooves, some are easy, some are very hard. You'll end up playing all sorts of techniques including muted notes. (Try playing 1/8th open string and 1/8th muted or a 1/16th muted followed by a wicked riff. It'll seem hard at first and that it doesn't sound right, but then it clicks, and hits you like a freight train and 10 simple notes never sounded so good.

Just wish I could find a band which played funk.

9. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I agree with funk music, although I don't play much of it(band I am in isn't as into it).

Ocean - Led Zep
    Cleopatra's Cat - Spin Doctors
    I Can't Stand Losing - Police
    Who Says You Can't Go Home - Bon Jovi

10. TaurusV

TaurusV

Feb 11, 2006
    "Eight Days A Week" by the Beatles has a great bass line and actually got me into playing bass, and I like "A Day In the Life" again by the Beatles and "Different People" by No Doubt is a great line also.

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+1.