Fun Bass lines

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Hookha, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    i looking for fun bass line
    like paul McCartney lines..
    rock'n'roll lines..
    like the bassline in the song
    "You Never Give Me Your Money" (beatles)
    its a very fun bass line
    or a walking bass lines...its fun...and a bluse is great to!
  2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Try Lady Madonna by the Beatles, great tab :)
  3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've never been a disco fan at all, but I was at a dinner last weekend and at one point the band played A Taste Of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oggie". I don't think I ever paid much attention to that song before but for some reason I did then and thought to myself what a fun little bass line that is.

Last night I downloaded a copy of it from iTunes, spent a little time working it out, and pretty soon I was funking out and having a great time. My wife came downstairs and was looking at me like she didn't know who I was. She's used to hearing things like rock, blues, prog, etc. and thought it was funny that I was playing that song.

I don't know it it's just that I was playing something so different from what I usually play but I was having a good time. :D
  4. I don't know if this bassline is what you're looking for but I love playing the bassline to Fly By Night by Rush. I can't stop playing it! :bassist:
  5. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Girls on Film by Duran Duran is a really fun line to play.
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    STP - Interstate Love Song
    Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne
    Fat Albert Theme Song
  7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

For fun, I'd say Lenny Kravitz's "Mr. Cab Driver". Not complicated, just an enjoyable, simple but cool tune and bassline.
  8. Growler

Sep 26, 2004

I started out playing the blues, loved it and lived it. Walking basslines, Albert King's Born under a Bad Sign, Laundromat Blues... Even "Stand By Me" played long and slow had that soulful feel to it. Then I discovered....

Picked up the book '70s Funk and Disco Bass (101 Groovin Bass Patterns), and realized that it drew me in. It's *DIFFERENT*, it's up front and IN YOUR FACE. The notes aren't hard, but the timing is. If FUNK was a book it would be called "The Sound of Silence" as the rests, and playing ahead/behind the beat are just as important.

Put the accompanied CD in and listen to a few grooves, some are easy, some are very hard. You'll end up playing all sorts of techniques including muted notes. (Try playing 1/8th open string and 1/8th muted or a 1/16th muted followed by a wicked riff. It'll seem hard at first and that it doesn't sound right, but then it clicks, and hits you like a freight train and 10 simple notes never sounded so good.

Just wish I could find a band which played funk.
  9. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I agree with funk music, although I don't play much of it(band I am in isn't as into it).

Ocean - Led Zep
    Cleopatra's Cat - Spin Doctors
    I Can't Stand Losing - Police
    Who Says You Can't Go Home - Bon Jovi
  10. TaurusV

Feb 11, 2006
    "Eight Days A Week" by the Beatles has a great bass line and actually got me into playing bass, and I like "A Day In the Life" again by the Beatles and "Different People" by No Doubt is a great line also.
  11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player