1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fun with compressor side-chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BryanM, Mar 8, 2013.

1. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    This idea would be more for guitar than bass, but could be applied to bass as well. I'm planning on running a drum trigger into the side chain of a hard knee compressor on the guitar, that would essentially act as a soft kill-switch whenever engaged and that particular drum is hit. I'm looking for any input on whether this is feasible or whether there's an easy way to go about doing this.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Totally do-able and feasible, and in fact it is a popular studio trick. Pedals I can think of with this option include the FEA Opti-FET and the Empress, and actually a very large percentage of rack units have a sidechain input. If you can find one, my favorite gate, an Ashly SG100, had a full complement of envelope controls and a sidechain, and would be great for the "soft kill".

You'd have to finagle the triggering signal to be a suitable level for the sidechain input, but this is just a matter of adjusting a fader on the drum channel.