1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fundraiser for the School Jazz Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Beginner Bass, May 12, 2010.

1. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    Our middle school jazz band has been meeting glowing reviews for at least 2 years. Unfortunately there is one small issue. Our PA system is crap. I made a pitch to our director for a fundraiser for the jazz band sometime soon to raise money for new PA gear (Though it will probably have to be next year). He pretty much agreed. I was considering a few ways to do it, but I was thinking perhaps a show with a tip jar being passed around, or find somewhere close that would allow us to play there. I just wanted to know if this would be a good/feasible idea.

2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Do you have any items or services that you could auction? That's always a good start.

3. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    Make the cheerleaders wash cars while you play music (and watch them)...split the profits. win win.
    ..Haha

4. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    Sorry, specifications: I was looking for something that could could sorta bypass the other "regular" bands. Something more focused on the Jazz Band.

5. SkitzoBass

SkitzoBass

May 11, 2010
    Canada
    depending on how large of a band it is.
    set up a couple locations in the city to play you're horns. leave a case open for tips with a sign saying all proceeds are to go towards the schools PA fund or something.

just an idea, it's busking, if one horn player can pull it off on quebec, im sure a group would be fine.

6. thatonedude02

thatonedude02

Jan 31, 2010
    Colorado
    This would take some work, but would be well worth it.

Host a fundraising dinner. Have people sign up in advance for $x/plate. Cater the event and have the jazz band play music during the dinner. Get a quote from the caterer, and base the per plate price on that (plus extra to go to the PA) so that the band comes out ahead. Around here, you can get a caterer for a served sit-down dinner (salad/dinner) for about $15/plate, but for a fundraiser, you could charge something like $25/plate.

It's all about the atmosphere/experience, something like "A night of dinner and Jazz." You know, dim the lights, candles on the tables, live jazz band performing. I would forgo the tip jar in such a setting (you're making money per-plate) but announce that if anyone wants to make a special contribution they can do so and tell them how.

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    We have a "band boosters" organization that helps support all BUT the director is a drummer and likes jazz so we've got a mixer(16/4/2 IIRC), power amp, snake, mics, and Peavey(yeah I know) trap cabs(15 & horn) & stands.

Fundraising for this included:
    Jazz band dinner
    Band golf tourney with a good bit for jazz band(fees to enter, prices, raffle, etc.)
    Standard raffle of stuff folks will bet $10 a ticket on
    The tired & true bake sale(setup sales in front of WalMart, HEB, etc.)
    Donations from parents(solicitation required)
    Donations from local businesses(solicitation required)

That's about all I can recall right now.
    GOOD LUCK and don't giveup. Jazz band ROCKS(son was #2 in state UIL for bass guitar).

8. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    The band is 17 people plus the teacher.
    I like the sound of these, though a golf tournament from a middle school is probaly not that feasible.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Benefit show. Minimum $10 donation to attend. Print a program and sell advertising sponsorships to local businesses for $100. Make sure everyone knows what the money is for.

Another way would be to go to a largish local business and tell them you need $5,000 for a PA system, and tell them you'll name it the Acme Dynamite (or whatever) PA System and mention the sponsorship at every performance of the band.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'll bet you could get Dell Computers to buy it for you.

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I like this idea, but here is how I'd improve it:
    1. Don't cater it: too costly. Instead make it a spagetti dinner or better yet: Lasagna dinner night: Get a few parents to volunteer to make a Lasagna. Get some already bagged letuce and grape tomatoes with a vat of two or three dressings.
    Lasagna recipe that worked for our HS Band Boosters (this is strictly from memory, so it's not perfect):
    *Lasagna pan: (12" X 24") give these out at a meeting with the written recipe
    *Ronzoni Lasagna Noodles (the ones that don't need to be boiled) (I think 2 boxes)
    *Classico Tomatoe and Basil Sause (3 jars)
    *already shreaded mozzarella cheese (2 lbs)
    *Poly-O ricotta cheese (2 lbs)
    * Kraft parmisian cheese (half a can)
    *1.5- 2lbs chopped meat
    *basil (1 TBS)
    *oregano (1/2TBS)
    * parslie (1 TBS)
    1. cook the meat in a large sause pan, drain and add the sauce. Cook for a little while longer
    2. In a separate bowl: mix the parmisian, ricotta, basil, oregano, parslie, mozarella all together. If it's dry and unmanageable, add some sauce to loosen it up.
    3. In a lasagna pan, layer this way: a. sauce with meat, b. noodles, c. cheese mixture, d. repeat a-c three more times, then top it off with a layer of sauce and shreaded mozzarella
    4. bake (I don't remember the temp or time) ask some moms or look it up on the internet at a cooking website.
    5. If I remember, each pan gave us 15 or 18 large portions (3 X 5 or 6)

Have the few parents cook these and deliver them 30 minutes prior to the event. Have the salad ready and some dinner rolls you can get at BJs or Sams Club.

2. Charge only $10. You will get more people and you will make more money since the parents are making the lasagna.

3. Advertise the event and include a picture of a PA system and the band.

4. Another idea is to include the concert band in on the event. Make up some story of how the PA can be used for all school concerts. I'm sure the concert band has way more members (hense more families/parents) and therefore a much greater pool of ticket sales. It worked for our high school bands for other financial reasons.

Good Luck!!!

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'm serious here. They are in your community (I toured their plant a couple years ago), and supporting the community is part of a large corporation's responsibility. Find the right person to approach their manager of philanthropy (usually a VP) and ask for the money.

13. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    Actually, the "Concert Band", shares the period with us and has fewer kids than us.
    That's what I was thinking of at first, but I wasn't sure how I would go about it. Also, this whole scheme, if possible, will need to be done before the end of next year, because that will be my last year at the school, and I'd like to see this get finished.