1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk bass on sousaphone!?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jzucker, May 7, 2006.

1. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Hellz yea!

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    wasn't that dude just in bass player? It's pretty awesome.

3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've seen Kirk Joseph play with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. We used to call him "Superman," because we couldn't believe a human being could do what he did on sousaphone.

4. That's some pretty hip tunes.

Thanks!

5. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I really enjoyed reading the article about him in Bass Player. I'm glad they recognized other low-end instruments. They need an article about a bari sax player next :)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, that's amazing... bass... tone. I like the way that sounds a lot. It's great that it even sounds like fingerstyle funk bass playing. Awesome awesome stuff.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Go see The Dirty Dozen Brass Band if you get the chance. Guy's replacement plays exactly the same style.

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Forget the baritone sax -- how about contrabass saxophone, like Anthony Braxton used to play? He needed to stand on a ladder to play it!

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Stanton Moore has a song with Tuba as the bass.

There is also a band called Drums and Tuba and the Tuba player does all the bass lines.

Horns work well for that in some cases :)

10. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    That guy has always amazed me. I played sousaphone in high school, but he really "PLAYS" sousaphone. The music also grooves like hell.

11. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That is one hell of a groove on "Thinking of Her" I have heard his work with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I knew what to expect but DAYUM that is Funky, awesome tone as well. Great find!!!

12. That was pretty damn good!

13. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Check out "Howard Johnson and Gravity". Tubas, sousaphones, euphoniums, and more. He did an album with Taj Mahal years ago where he arranged for four tubas. I think it was called "The Real Thing".

14. LeTrull

LeTrull

Jun 10, 2005
    If you're interested in great susaphonists be sure to check out Nat McIntosh of the Young Blood Brass Band and Matt Perrine of the New Orleans Night Crawlers (whom I actually got a chance to jam with one time :bassist: ).

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    awesome find, jack... :cool:

16. bassguitarman21

bassguitarman21

Apr 11, 2006
    groovey!

17. Haha, he sounds like a Fender with flatwounds through an SVT...

Nice!

18. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    DAM!!!! That is some funky stuff, love it. I remember when Howard Johnson put together the all tuba horn section for Taj Mahal's band that was cool. Howard played bass too, but mainly known for Jazz tuba and bari sax. He loved the low end.

19. Hahah, Yeah man , he's GOT IT! Never did hear him. THNX!