1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk/broken beat/African/zen groove

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MixBass, Aug 1, 2018.

1. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    This song should challenge any grid sensibilities and may offend those with perfect pitch!
    That was part of the intent.
    It's a dark tale of one who is slipping beyond the parameters of acceptable social behavior.

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Hmmm, I’d give it an A for effort, but I’m not sure how funky, African, or broken beat it is. Sounds like straight 4 to me, and as someone who has consumed a lot of Residents, Snakefinger, Fred Frith, King Sunny Ade, Fela, Pere Ubu and other art-damaged new wave circa ‘77-‘83, it just sounds kinda familiar, or fallen short of that description. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  3. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Thanks for listening for starters. Def not as challenging in the pitch dept as Residents or Sun Ra lol, slipping 30-40cents here and there though. More mbalax than afrobeat or juju if you’re familiar with that, which can be thought of as 4 although I find 12/8 preferable for transcription in most cases. In any event the bass and Gtr won’t fit on the same grid.

4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, I would think of that as being in 12/8. Pretty typical West African feel in terms of the 6 (or 12) and 4 coinciding and that's a feel I love. Cool stuff - thanks for posting

MixBass likes this.