1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk is ending up like the Blues

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Vulfpeck is the future of Funk. Young Black kids are totally into Hip Hop, frankly most White kids are into Hip Hop too. Even country acts are being heavily influenced by Rap these days. Funk is being produced by music school “nerds” like Vulfpeck (I love them, but they do come off as music department nerds.) Of course, musicianship is very healthy in the Black Church, Black Church bassists can certainly get funky, but Gospel is not Funk, funk is just one of many flavors comprising current Urban Gospel. I am not complaining, I was blessed to have grown up during the heyday of Funk, and just like the Big Band and Jump Blues that my parents grew up listening to gave way to R&B, Funk was not going last forever. It is just a sign of my aging that I am seeing what happened to my parent’s music, happen to my music.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Dang, Joe Dart is irresistible! That gooey tone and groove are perfect!:bassist:

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This thread is ending up in Miscellaneous, where it belongs.

-Mike

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008

Another pretty cool and funky local band.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Brian Setzers big band still pack em in doing big band jump blues.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    dgrizzly, bozric, Steve Welch and 5 others like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    So how exactly did funk end up like the blues? I'm not seeing the connection.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Funk is no longer the major style of music enjoyed by the community that created it. The same thing happened to the Bues two generations ago.

8. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Funk arguably hasn't been the style of music preferred by the "community that created it" since the 70's (though go-go was still pretty happening in D.C. through the 80s).

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It depends on how one defines Funk. Eighties Funk was much more synth/drum machine/ midi oriented. In the 1990’s Neo Soul heavily leaned on elements of Funk. Today, even bassists like Thundercat show more Hip Hop than Funk influence.

10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    At least we can still watch re runs of soul train on you tube;)

BassCliff, mussa, OldFunker and 15 others like this.
  11. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    So your main point is that the influence has shifted from previously being funk to now being hip-hop?

superheavyfunk and Rudyboy98 like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is part of what I am saying.

gebass6, RBrownBass and HolmeBass like this.
  13. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    This is a longstanding American tradition: musical innovation moving out of the black community and into the wider "white" community (which, not all that long ago, was actually a whole bunch of different communities that hated and/or mistrusted each other despite all being "white.") Ragtime, jazz, blues, rock 'n' roll, soul, funk, and even hip-hop and rap. And in fairness, pull the racial element out of it, and go ahead and name me some of the many creators of marches from the late 19th century (that were displaced by ragtime and jazz), or talk about, say, the court composers of Mozart's time. The musical world is never static.

I'm a middle-aged white dude, and I surely do enjoy funk (especially trying to play it. I need more practice). But my kids and their contemporaries don't care at all for "my" music (guitar-driven rock). It's just what happens.

Mr_Moo, Beej, jefff100 and 15 others like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

One thing I should note is that girls and women of all races are holding up the bass and funk like never before. I just bumped into this cover of a collaboration between a Thundercat and the late Mac Miller.

thmsjordan, nozkcb, retslock and 43 others like this.
  15. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I really want to like Vulfpeck. It's undoubtedly skillful, but to me it comes across as quantized, sterilized, Berklee Funk 101. There's something missing...

16. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    indeed. well said.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Music stores all over America are already dealing with the aging and death of guitar loving Baby Boomers.
    I have two Basses coming in the next few months, but at 59, I have to ask myself, “why keep accumulating basses that my wife will dang near give away soon as I am dead?”

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  18. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the successful of Vulfpeck. Did it start with RHCP?

On whether this is a good or bad thing I don't know. People are allowed to like what they like, and if it builds connections between folks that's even better. On the other hand I worry a little about cultural appropriation but this seems more like cultural exchange which I think is good.

steeq and craig0316 like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am leery of the notion of cultural appropriation because we do not live in total are even partial isolation from each other. What is dead wrong is when influences are ignored, downplayed, or denied.

20. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I like that!

thmsjordan, LowMax and punchdrunk like this.