Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Loop/solo Video

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Hey - here's a new video of me messing with some chords and my loop pedal - soloing with fingerstyle and slap - hope you dig some of it.

Cheers

Mike

http://www.munkio.com/music/music_videos_loop.html

PS It's snowing in London - I'm staying in to play bass!

2. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I enjoyed it. You have some really nice chops. I particularly liked the pop 'n' slap section near the end.

I am interested in trying looping myself. What looper are you using?

3. Hi Brian - thanks - I use a Boss RC20 - not the new one which allows you to delete a mistake but the first one that came out about 3 years ago or more - they are good versatile, simple loopers with about 5 minutes of sample time.

M

4. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    That's one of the ones I have been looking at. The other is the Digitech Jamman. They both go for about the same price, but I believe the Jamman has removable memory that will let you greatly extend the loop time. I'm hoping to try them both at soon.

Thanks for the info and the video. Keep up the good work! :)

5. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    That was excellent!!!!!!! Oh man I loved that. Good work!

6. I love it. And I REALLY need one of those pedals.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    this is one of my favourite things you've put out in a long time. Alot less flashy than what I'm used to from you. tasty.

8. I'm working on getting tasteful in my old age bro!

Thanks

M

9. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

There you go again doing the taste elevation thang

;)

...Sounds good, Mike.

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Good stuff as always mike, very inspirational. im off to play bass!

:)

11. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    it was impressive, but it lacked something for me, it seemed like u were just goin through scales, didnt have much soul

12. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    1. That's not funk, it's Jazz.
    2. I have the RC20XL looper, the new one with 16 minutes of sample time and overdub/delete. I'm seriously considering selling mine, especially since so many of you seem interested in getting loopers. Drop me a PM.

-Eric.

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
  14. That was really good, by far the favorite thing i've heard from you.

15. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
  16. Again - thanks guys - I'm definitely going to make some of this into a proper recording and high-quality videos soon - your feedback has been very encouraging - thanks for your patience while I've been getting my s*** together.

Cheers for watching

Mike

17. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Mike, I've been a bit critical of your playing, or at least your submissions, in the past and can say you're finally getting somewhere. While there were a few cringe inducing moments(slapping) this was pretty nice. It seems like you were more relaxed and it came across in your playing. It always felt like in other videos, sound clips you were holding your breath the whole time you were playing making you sound too...urgent is the word that comes to mind. Good job on this one:hyper:

18. Thanks Peter - I've got a long way to go but things are sounding a lot better these days - it takes time - sorry you didn't like the slap stuff but no offense taken - I know it's all mattter of taste and that's hopefully where I'm headed - thanks for the feedback.

Mike

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Very cool progression with a great feel. I'd like to hear you playing the same fast solos at half of the speed they're played at- they sound like they'd really sing and have great flow on a slow groovy loop like that if they were played slower, so they felt more like phrases than licks....there's a jazz guitarist that comes to mind but I can't recall his name.

It's still cool either way, and you've got chops galore :)