1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funky NATO names for Soviet aircraft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 7, 2010.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll bet the guys who came up with the code names were pretty drunk and having a great time when they did it. Here are a few samples of the usually disrespectful names they've given Russian fighter aircraft. For a comprehensive list of more aircraft, click the link at the bottom.

Su-15 Flagon
    Mig-21 Fishbed
    Mig-23 Flogger
    Mig-25 Foxbat
    Mig-27 Flogger
    Mig-29 Fulcrum
    Mig-31 Foxhound
    Mig-142 Flatpack
    Su-11 Fishpot
    Su-17 Fitter
    Su-24 Fencer
    Su-25 Frogfoot
    Su-47 Firkin
    Ye-2A Faceplate
    Ye-152 Flipper

Cool aircraft names.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    su15.

Su-15 Flagon​

3. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Well, in partial support of your theory I would note that both Flagon and Firkin are closely associated with beer

A flagon is a drinking vessel, and a firkin is a very small barrel

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I always like the name Foxbat, but the rest are strange. :D You have to hand it to the Russians, they find ways to do things without the technical advancement the US has. I wonder where there country would be if they hadn't gone to the dark side. I bet few people know the Russians put a car sized vehicle on the Moon in 1970 and drove it around.

lunokhod1.

5. lupini

lupini

Sep 16, 2009
  6. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Personally I always thought the Bear Bomber was insanely cool, kind of like a Star Wars Empire thing. Counter rotating props. Whoa!

7. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Mig-25 Foxbat - I did a speech on this acft for my SNCO Academy class. Interesting interceptor acft for the COld War times...

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    NATO also used names for Soviet AAMs, SAMs and SSMs. IIRC, AAMs names started with "A" (Atoll, Acrid etc) SAMs names started with "G" (Gainful, Grail, etc) and SSMs with "S" (Scud, Sickle, etc.)

9. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    The Soviets/Russians are not responsible for these names. These are NATO reporting names.
    Names begin with "F" for fighters / "B" for bombers. One syllable name for propeller driven aircraft, two syllable name for jet propelled aircraft.
    My favorite is the MiG-15 "Fagot". I guess it had a different meaning in the 50's.

D

10. NATO names for their cargo planes are pretty silly too- *Clank*, *Clod* among others.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    'aint but nothing as cool as Clint Eastwood's thought-controlled Firefox fighter :):

[​IMG]

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Was that the one that was built to catch the SR-71?

13. Wiki thinks so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-25
    I still remember when Viktor Belenko defected and flew one to Japan in 76. I had a 1/72 model of one hanging in my bedroom not long afterward.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where exactly, of some accounts written by Soviet MIG25 pilots who tried to catch SR-71's. They said that the "official" mach 3 speed of teh SR-71 was hogwash because they had chased them on several occasions in their Mig 25s doing mach 3+ only to have the SR-71 accelerate away..
    Sounds kind of "urban legend-y" to me but who knows.

15. Yeah, the Blackbird was/is badass- and I'd be shocked if the full extent of their badassnesss was ever made officially public. That also makes me wonder what *they* have now that we don't know about... :ninja:
    Crazy that the U-2 is essentially built for the same mission- or at least same end goal.

16. A firkin is either 8 or 9 gallons, depending on what's in it.

(I should add that the barrel doesn't change, the size of the gallon changes!)

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I agree. I still find it strange that the Blackbird was retired and that satellites took over their role. To me, there was just waaaay too much potential in that bird to just throw it away. Look at what came just before with the Valkyrie bomber, then the SR-71, then... nada? No way. I'm not a big "Aurora" conspiracy person but I do think that they've got something flying, or near-flying that's a generation or two past the Blackbird.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The problem with Mig-25s at mach 3 was they couldn't turn at that speed. The wings were too weak.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    There is a link at the bottom of my original post that goes to a more comprehensive list of NATO designations for aircraft of the Axis of Evil.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Then you've got the merkin ...