Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fuqua

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Hey, being a relatively new member, I have to ask: Who is or was Ed Fuqua? I could do a search and probably find the answer to this, but this is more fun.
    Seriously, he sounds like someone who is really special to you guys in a strange kind of way.....Anyone?

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    More a legend than a man.

3. Some say he`s still out there....I believe..oh yes...I believe.....

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ed was... well, I'd refer you to some of his posts, but when he left, he took all of his posts with him. I didn't know him that well, but I'm pretty sure I was Fuqua'd before.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I hear he goes by the name "Kaiser Szosay" now, but that's just a rumor.

Sadly, the only posts that remain are those that were tucked away in locked threads when he left. These, then, are the bitterest of the bitter dregs. Drink them slowly, lest they burn on the way down...

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The Ever Remembered Ed Fuqua had a born gift of messing with TBer's names/handles. But, as far as I can tell, his decision to erase his Posts was a difficult one. We carry on his Tradition, with hopes that one day he will re-appear. Which begs the question- maybe he is here, as a different, low-key user?:confused:

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow. That may be the only time I've ever seen FOGHORN and the words "Low Key" in the same sentence. I suppose it's possible, but....

Also, I forgot to include Mr. PUKESPRAY's posts from the Toybass side of the board. There are some pretty amusing ones to be found Here.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Yeah, and Andy Kaufman's death was faked as an elaborate joke.

Chris-Thanks for the bitter remains. I'm way behind my NY brother's descision, although I often bemoan the loss of his written word. There was art there. There is an issue of public domain here that interests me. What if an artist puts forth work and the public comes to know it and appreciate it. Then he takes it away. Obviously it is his to do with as he pleases unless the art becomes "owned" by someone else. Hey- mebbe we can get a sleazy lawyer and sue Little Eddie FuFu for his previously published work. I mean, I'm a supporting member-don't I have a share in this thing called TalkBass?

Promiscuous Nicuous-One thing we didn't discuss about when you come to NY was that we can go see the man himself.

9. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Why the heck did he delete his posts??

/lovebown

10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I personally believe it was an act of ego and will continue to believe that until he resurfaces and defends himself. to delete your posts seems to me something entirely legal and within your rights, but the act of deletion is in and of itself an act of ego - of removing yourself from the discourse as if those posts exist without the discourse that generated them.. but in reality they were all part of larger threads. maybe i am misreading ed's actions, but I guess the real point is the WE HAVE NO IDEA because ed seems to have just vaporized without explaining himself, leaving me to surmise that he would rather have us muse about what happened to him than to actually forget him...ed if i am wrong please come correct me ;-) i love your posts just like everyone else, and yeah maybe i do feel a bit jilted (though luckily i printed out a couple, like one on scale practice approach (though i can't find them right now for some reason - did ed fly to portland and sneak into my house and burn them?))

Anyway, here is some advice Ed once gave me ;-)

I guess he bowed out (no pun intended)

11. Well, I guess Ed had the balls to practice what he preached - it's a shame that more people here don't do the same...

- Wil

12. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Andy Kaufman's dead?

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I like to run Ed's posts through This translation program, which turns everything you put into it into prepubescent AOL ChatSpeak. For instance, this post fragment, in response so some poor sap who called himself "bassplayerjojo" who claimed that he improved more when he didn't practice:

"You can run, but you can't hide.

BASS HOLDER JIVE JIVE - if you don't want to hear the answers, you shouldn't ask the question. In your other thread you claimed some specific knowledge of what I sound like, musically. I offered what I thought would be an equitable demonstration of what each of us sounds like, I do so again here.
    If you cannot physically come to NYC, you pick 3 tunes, I'll pick three and let's get'em down on tape and send'em to Xav so he can post the mp3s. That way you can point out exactly how average my playing is.

If you don't want to do that, I'll accept your apology at any time. "

...becomes the following after being run through the translator:

"U CAN RUN BUT U CANT HIED!1!!!11 OMG LOL

BAS HOLD3R JIEV JIEV - IF U DONT WANT 2 H3AR TEH ANSWERS U SHUDNT ASK DA QU3STION!!!111! *** LOL IN UR OTHAR THREAD U CLAME3D SOME SP3CIFIC KNOWLEDGE OF WUT I SOUND LIEK MUSICALY1!111!!1 I OFERED WUT I THOUGHT WUD B AN EQUITABLA D3MONSTRATION OF WUT 3ACH OF US SOUNDS LIEK I DO SO AGANE HARA1!11! OMG *** LOL
    IF U CANOT PHYSICALY COM3 2 NYC U PIK 3 TUN3S IL PIK THRE AND LETS GATEM DOWN ON TAEP AND SENDAM 2 XAV SO HA CAN POST DA MP3S!11!!! OMG *** TAHT WAY U CAN POINT OUT EXACTLY HOW AEVRAEG MAH PLAYNG IS!!11!1 OMG

IF U DONT WANT 2 DO TAHT IL ACEPT UR APOLOGY AT ANY TIEM!!11! OMG

***?!?!?

OMG LOL!1!1!!11!

14. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's okay, Chris, just step AWAY from the computer...

15. Mr. HOLD WAR BUTTON,
    May I add that Mr. Fugua was the one who introduced the Fuguaizing of the screen names to the Talkbass DB community.
    Even though it was not originally invented by him, he brought the habit to TB from various forums and mail lists which lived and died during the dawn of the Early Talkbass, and developed it to a form of Art.
    MISSFITS´ HERALD has succesfully followed this fine tradition, among others.

R2

16. Good Lord, now I see!! Thanks for the explanation and the examples. This must have been so bitter-sweet for you all.
    I'm so sorry I got into TB a little too late to have had the Fuqua experience.:bawl:

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I still have quite a few emails and PMs. I think the point is that Ed knew that he wouldn't be taking anything away from those he influenced and who could see where he was coming from - and he didn't want to carry on arguing with those who would never "get it" !! :meh:

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Fall Barhoppin,

Fuqua had a way of helping you realize you knew the answer to your own question all along.

19. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I happened to catch Ed several weeks back performing at a Sushi place around the corner from my day job. We talked music, NYC gigs, bass strings and such. It was two horns, a piano, and unamplified Ed. No drummer. What a fine musician he is and a genuine sweet guy.

No, I didn't DARE get into his departure from talkbass. I'm sure his reasons are valid, and better to just leave it at that.