1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fusing the upright and electric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guimdonatron, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Ever since I have come across Jason Moran and seen Taurus, his bassist, groove on that monster of a bass I have been on a journey to find the luthier. I was told it was Marco basses, but Marco states that it was absolutely not him (unless I found the wrong Marco luthier).

Nevertheless, I'm curious to know how he gets that tone (i.e. what about the bass physically contributes to the tone the most). I imagine high action really helps to get a thumpier tone as does the hollow body for a warm, thick sound.

Overall, I would like to know what luthier would be up to the challenge of making a bass similar to this and also what qualities would be needed to replicate it (if I were to need to tell a luthier what I need on the bass)?

Also.. please do not make this about finger technique. I play upright so I understand the "it's how you play" discussion. I would just like to get a bass similar to this under my hands if at all possible.

Thank you all for any help!

2. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You know, one thing I notice is that he's using a nylon tapewound string. I've had some electric uprights and used tapewounds to get a more thumpy, gut-like tone.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Don't know anything regarding the bass in the video, but since you play upright as well, you might like the feel and tone of a Takamine B/TB10. It has a fingerboard arch similar to the upright.

5. Munjibunga: Thanks for the link. I actually found it right after posting this thread. Made me feel so dumb since I just said, "I asked Marco and he said it wasn't him." TOTALLY was a different Marco! I e-mailed this guy. I hope he can read English since that's my only language. Otherwise I'll have to find something out!

Bobby King: I have an electric upright actually. What kind of tapewounds are you using?

MD: Checkin' out the Takamine!