fuzz pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Nov 14, 2004.

1. im lookin for a pedal that can give me that old 60's fuzz bass tone. anybody have any suggestions?
  2. I got a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz.
    I'm not sure if it has the tone your looking for, but does the job for me.
    Best bet is to go and play as many fuzz pedals you can get your hands on.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Blackcat is cool. Lets you blend wet/dry. The Prescription Electronics Depth Charge is very cool also, although I found it worked best on passive basses.
  4. thanks for the tip, but im not really lookin for an octave fuzz, just the regular fuzz.
  5. well, i have this old electro-harmonix muff fuzz pedal (actually, its really small and is a switch, not a pedal) and that that sounds pretty cool.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out that Black Cat site anyway. I just went there to find that they make several distortions, and they claim that one of them (the SuperFuzz) is THE effect used for the fuzz bass on the Beasty Boys song Sabotage - if that's the kind of sound you're looking for. The site offers sound samples of all their stuff too.

7. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    I've been trying fuzzes lately trying to get the Acoustic 360 fuzz from a pedal. I tried sooooo many and settled on one called the Bass Bomb.

The thing about fuzz is that there are two kinds of transistors (please correct me if I'm wrong - this is my understanding)

1) germania transistors: unstable but super groovy hippy fuzz charachteristics

2) silicon transistors: very stable fuzz sound but lacks grooviness (a bit sterile)

I was trying them all and not finding what I was looking for because each has a fatal flaw. (unstable or sterile sounding)

The bass bomb (also labeled as the astro-fuzz (same pedal) is a home brew pedal designed/patented by a guy named Stan (tube amp guru too) here in Boston (His last name is on the pedal but I'm house sitting so I don't have his last name with me). The Bass Bomb/Astro Fuzz combines a silicon transistor for effect stability with a germania transistor for 60's and 70's grooviness.

I sat and compared a whole range of fuzz pedals against the 360 fuzz and the Bass Bomb was easily the winner. It was almost exact. It's da bomb!
  8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I think so much of the tone 60's or otherwise depends on what bass and amp you're using, and how you set them up. I set up my old P bass thought my Trace Elliot combo with a 'vintage ' 60's style sound with plenty of mids, and the top end pulled back, and it suddenly made my ODB-3 sound quite growly and vintage sounding. If you're using something like a Gibson semi-acoustic bass then it will sound even more 60's.
  9. thanks for all the input guys :D

any idea where i can get a hold of the bass bomb prisma?
  10. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the lotone IS very good, again I found it worked best on passive basses.
  12. Boongishmang -

oooohh, that pedal looks dead sexy. :rolleyes:
  13. If I didn't already have my BCBOF, I would would have me a Frantone.

Of course there is always the Wooly Mammoth by Zvex
    I have no experience with it, but heard it's has tremendous bottom end.
  14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    That DOD thing, what's it called?

It's been getting RAVE reviews on this forum.
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The person I am buying one from said the exact opposite.

Weird. :D
  17. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    DOD 250? I've still been wanting to snag one of those to play with...
  18. Can you please give me the link for the Black Cat site?
    I'd like to listen to this Bass Octave Fuzz samples.