Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FX pedal and sound cards??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jonasp, Dec 20, 2004.

1. I tried searching, but i couldnt think of the right keywords, anyway, I have just seen the light of recording right on to my computer. However, i am just plugging my guitar into the back of my computer and using FX that i have from cool edit pro (a recording software). is it safe to run my bass into an FX pedal and then into my computer? or would the signal 'fry' something? i was thinking and i think it should be OK, but i want to make sure.

thanks, Pete

2. Bump

3. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Pete,

Your bass or effects pedal won't send enough signal to your sound card to record well. You need to bring the signal up to "line" level. Does your amp have a line out? If so, use that. Go to Radio Shack and get a converter to go from your 1/4 inch cable down to 1/8 inch. This won't be the best in the world but it will get you started. Ideally, you need some sort of pre-amp.

By the way, don't use the microphone input on your sound card; usually those mic pre-amps are cheap and noisy.

You might also want to check out the Home Recording Forums web site.

One last note; home recording is addictive. Have lots of fun but don't get wrapped up in the hardware. Some recording pro has said "I've heard lots of pristine recordings of really crappy songs."

4. Actually, I just bought a 1/4 to 1/8" yesterday, which has gotten me going with recodring some stuff. Also, I am plugging into my microphone jack. :meh: All i have is the standard stock sound card, so i dont have much option there. what input should i use for getting to the PC?

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Pete,

You'll get better results if you use the "line in" jack. On my old SoundBlaster, I think the line in was light blue (I don't use that computer any more). I've done lots of recordings with my SoundBlaster card. They won't win any Grammys but I don't care.

If your amp doesn't have a line out but does have a headphone jack, you might try that. Do you have a small mixer you can use? It'll have a line out. Home recording is all about trying different things. If you get results you like with the mic in jack, great! Good luck, and have fun.