Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FYI: Walter Woods

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Sep 17, 2004.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A friend of mine just ordered the Amber Light, and got it right away -- no wait! He said that he's out of Blue Lights, but I think he has everything else in stock.

2. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area

I don't know what Walter makes anymore. I have an old green light---model 225?. It's two channels and a mono poweramp section. One channel has a very wide midrange control. I use this for DB and low volume EB gigs. I have a newer amber light ( but still 10-12 years old?--can't remember when I ordered it) which is 2 channel and a Stereo power amp section. It has sweepable mids and about twice the power of the green light. I use it for R&B EB gigs when I need a lot of volume. It will run a 2 ohm load so I can drive a lot of boxes if needed.

I'm guessing this is NOT the amber light model you're talking about. Do you know what he makes now? I guess I should give him a call.

bob

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that is good to know.

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Green - 300-450
    Amber - 450 - 650
    Blue - 800 - 1200
    Green (with all red box) 225-350 stereo per side or 700 - 1000 bridged

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    How much does one of the Amber heads go for? Is there somewhere I can find the info about them? Thanks guys.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Green - $1,499
    Amber - $1,799
    Blue - $2,199
    Green/Stereo - $2,299

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    PDIDDY, I've got Walter's number somewhere in my constantly disappearing PDA....I'll look for it.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Donzie, is this it? ###-###-#### (EDITED cuz someone told me WW doesn't like his number posted)

Man, this amp buying business is difficult. I want to get something good for my first DB amp, and i'm torn between a Focus 1, iamp 500, and now a Walter Woods (Green probably). I guess I couldn't go wrong with any of them. I'm running an underwood (tho I'll prob change one of these days to a PUTW) and I know it sounds good with the AI, but I don't know where I can try the other ones in the Bay Area. I'd like to try the other two but don't know where I could find one in the Bay Area. Too bad, NYC is too far or else maybe I could come to the DB meet.
    :crying:

10. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you want accurate info you need to talk to man himself! There is nothing in stock and all he is building right now is Ultras. Wait time on those is short!

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I talked to him the day before yesterday and it sounded like he had amp-le stock about, all but the Blues.

12. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I talked to him today and he was only building Ultras with none in stock and he said it's been that way for a while. When I told what was on this site he said it was not true. ???????????
    :confused:

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It was a misunderstanding then. He did snap up the phone and sell my friend the Amber, though. She actually talked to him mostly, and I was relating what I understood from her.

Apologies to all if I've mislead...

14. bassphase

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area

15. bassphase

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area

What is the "Ultra"?

I've heard that mentioned here before. Is that different than the green/amber/blue models? What EQ is on them these days? My 2 WW amps sound very different from each other.

bob

16. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Obviously, I really should call Walter and ask him directly, but I am just curious if anyone knows off the top of their heads whether Walter has upgraded any of the Ultras to handle 2 ohm?

Thanks, Tom.

18. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I know of 1 Super Electracoustic he upgraded for 2 ohms but I don't believe Walter is much into upgrading anymore. He's pretty much set in his ways on production.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That was the impression I had when I called him the last time, but I saw a glimmer of hope and excitement there for a moment...