1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L 2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jordan_frerichs, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i have heard this is the best bang for your buck if u are low on cash. figured i would dig a little deeper. i want to know a few things about this.
    is it basical like a fender jaguar exept having music man pickups instead of jazz?
    it can get a good variety of sounds. can it get a good sound of: jazz? mm? p? special p? mmp?mmj? anything else?
    i have heard that the neck is a little big. this is a bass designed by leo fender, so is it compatible with fender necks if i wanted to put on a jazz neck?
    any other pros or cons?

2. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    The L-2000 Tribute is $500. The L-2000 (USA) is $1,500.

In both cases, think *MASSIVE* pickups, great quality-control, a Fender-like body, sort of a P neck, and tons of tonal possibilities.

3. I'm not familiar with the Jaguar's specifics. The pickups in the G&L are a different design than those used in the EBMM products. People generally will attest to the fact that the L-2000 is extremely vesatile and can cop a lot of different sounds. Whether those sounds are close enough for you or not isn't really for me to say. I like most of what my L-2000 does, but personal taste being what it is, there are settings that don't do me any good.

The standard import neck is a "P" neck. If you're buying a US made L-2000, you can order a jazz neck at the point of purchase. The neck is not compatible with Fender products. It is a 6 bolt.

I love G&L's. Like any bass, they are not for everyone.

Mike

4. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    love my tribute!

5. We have a G&L forum here, too. I'm too lazy to link it...scroll down.

Mike

6. donmatejo

donmatejo

Jul 26, 2007
    once u have it, u love it... I have a tribute version and it rocks, u can have multiple sounds and I love active with treble all the way up an bass on the half... but, you should try it.... and if you buy a GL, then expect to have sound like GL, not musicman, precision, jazz... let it rock the way it's ment to rock, their own... I own 2 basses and have 1 or 2 borrowed at the time and when I practice od GL, my brother rushes into my room and say: This is soooo GL!!!

forget MM and other, if u want MM, buy MM-invest a little more and you'll be happier... if you go with GL, be a GL!

7. davelaw650

davelaw650

Mar 17, 2007
    San Diego
    I was in the same position as you. Hadn't played one yet but everyone on this site says they're awesome. Well I took a chance and bought an L-2000 Tribute. It's been a year now and whenever I'm unsure of a product I trust the good people of Talk Bass. I've tried other basses now and always find that my first buy was by far the best.

I can't say there's a distinct L-2000 sound, like there is for other basses, rather it's a tool in which to find your own sound. From low and meaty to high and poppy I've recorded entire songs layering on multiple tracks with just this one bass and been able to make it sound like five different instruments.

My one regret with it is I now have to find other things to spend my money on rather than new basses.

8. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    k, so what can i do about the neck for the cheaper G&L tribute?

9. I recently picked up a used L-2000 on eBay and couldn't be happier with it. It has the jazz neck, so I can't comment on the default neck. I do like the jazz neck, but I came from a bass with a jazz neck, so maybe I'm just used to it.

I'm indecisive about how I want "my" sound to be, so it's nice to have all the sound options available. When I change my mind, I just change my settings.

The only somewhat consistent complaint I've heard about them is that they're heavy, but I don't find that to be the case with mine. (I have a friend who's played mine who disagrees, however, so it's really subjective. He still said he likes it though.)

10. I had a L-2000 tribute-didn't work for me. I was shopping for a JAZZ when the series/parallel, active/passive etc of the G&L got to me. Wasn't my thing. Now I got a MIA Jazz........Superb!

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Another vote for the Tribute L2000. I gigged with one for a long time, and only replaced it with a Classic '50s P. It came down to versatility versus personality, and the P won out...but the L2000 could make a lot more sounds.

I liked mine a lot. It was a well-made, durable, professional instrument for not much money.

12. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    so would a G&L L-2000 Jazz neck be the only option for a swap with a G&L L-2000 tribute bass? guess i will be on ebay watch when i got cash

13. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I have owned a few G&L over the years The first one was a
    Fretless El-Toro I had no idea what I had I would buy it back
    in a New York Minute . My first L-2000 another one that I regret getting rid of I need a bigger amp at the time . Then six months traded the amp for another L-2000 which I would of kept since it was the best sounding bass I had owned up to then unfortunately it weighed about 14 lbs . Then I found my original L-2000 hanging in NYC and tried to make a trade it did not happan . Then a few years passed and I was with out of a G&L I was always thinking I would get another . And a few weeks ago my buddy in NY told me he had L-2500 USA
    Model that he want to get rid of I picked it up for $600 and it is the best sounding bass I have ever owned .

14. These are great basses, I have an early 80's one. Mine is heavy. They have many great distinctive sounds, but it can't sound like a P or a J or a MM. It just sounds like a great bass. OK maybe a J on steroids. You really just have to try one to see if it works for you.

15. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Watch Ed Friedland demo one......

Basically the neck you get is what you keep. There is no aftermarket neck to drop on that is reasonable. Status and Moses make graphite necks that can be use but at a lot of $$$$$$$$

Jim

16. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I just ordered this bass 10 minutes ago(the blueburst). Can't wait. Also got a Line 6 Lowdown studio 75 watt amp. I'm a beginner and wont be gigging for at least a year. Seems like a great all-purpose quality bass for the money. The youtube demo sold me on it.

17. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Well said, sir. I agree 100%. My G&L Tribute 2500 is a fantastic and versatile bass. It isn't a P or a MM, it's better then either.

Think POWER. That's the tone of the G&L.

18. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    damn. lol. so what can the standard G&L neck be compared to

19. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    it's really like a p bass neck. its definitely chunkier than a jazz neck. my G&L tribute L2k has a thicker neck than my SX precision.

with that said, i absolutely love the size. I find that jazz necks may be fast for quick slap licks and runs, but for long gigs, my hand is more fatigued with the smaller neck.