1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-1500/1505, anyone got clips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darkstrike, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Or a vid? Fretted or fretless?

I've been wanting a G&L on and off, with a few years, but never noticed this model, so I'm curious about how it sounds, certainly looks like it'd sound good! :D

Pickup placement, and heritage would nod towards Stingray, but the pre-amp, and pickup itself do not...

2. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I wanted to know this so bad that I bought one! I did not keep it because of the neck profile mostly. Way too fat! There are some things about the preamp I didn't like either but mostly it was that damn neck.

An L1505 I owned with fresh EB Slinkys (the green set - 45 65 80 100 130).

All clips are straight to Pro Tools through my Mbox. No compression at all. I did perform some simple gain matching when switching from parallel to series just to keep things out of the red but this was all done live, not in the software. Talk about hot - when I had it in series mode with preamp engaged I had my preamp volume ALL THE WAY DOWN and I could barely keep it out of the red! Also, I had volume, bass and treble fully open. I know, I know, you shouldn't run MFD's that way but I wanted to keep things simple.

When I used the Sadowsky pre I had the bass and treble at 5 and did my best to match levels (though it always sounds louder with its sweet warm bass). I'll probably turn this in to a YouTube video but I wanted to give you guys the sneak peek.

Here is the link:
    http://www.zumaz.com/audio/G&L/L1505/

I would suggest downloading all four clips and playing them in your media player as you read the lowdown:
    fingerstyle funk- consists of 5 clips, played right over the pickup
    1. preamp OFF, parallel mode
    2. preamp OFF, series mode
    3. preamp ON, parallel mode
    4. preamp ON, series mode
    5. preamp OFF, parallel mode WITH Sadowsky outboard preamp engaged
    jazz walking - played closer to the neck and with a lighter touch - pretty hard to warm this beast up, maybe some Pyramids or TI's would help. I should have rolled off some treble as well
    2. preamp OFF, parallel mode WITH Sadowsky outboard preamp engaged
    pick - jamming aggressively to The Cure with a Fender thin teardrop pick - I don't usually play with a pick but with the Sadowsky engaged, I think this is my favorite sound, it's just raw and ugly
    2. preamp ON, parallel mode
    3. preamp OFF, parallel mode WITH Sadowsky outboard preamp engaged
    4. preamp ON, parallel mode WITH Sadowsky outboard preamp engaged
    slap - a quick slap lick followed by some B pounding
    2. preamp OFF, parallel mode WITH Sadowsky outboard preamp engaged
    3. preamp OFF, parallel mode
    4. preamp OFF, parallel mode WITH Sadowsky outboard preamp engaged

3. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Wow! Thanks for all that, really, really helpful! :)

I really like how is sounds, fantastic tone, espcially on the Jazz Walking 1 part, and with a pick. :bassist:

Very very nice, indeed....

4. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Just make sure you can handle the neck or plan on shaving it down when you get it. I think mine was a 2007 or so. I remember telling the G&L guys they have to thin that sucker down and they agreed but who knows if any action took place. The L1505 didn't have any neck options at the time. For the L1500 I believe you could still choose between 3 or 4 different profiles.

5. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup! I'll be wary of that, while I haven't decided on weather I want a four or five, or if I should even get it at all, if I do go five string, I'll look into getting it reshaped. :)

6. Click on the link here for a sample of a 1997 G&L L-1500 bass in performance:
    http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/fatherska/15_girls_on_dope_edited.mp3
    This song (abreviated for this forum) is "Girls On Dope" by my band Stingray - an original tune which I co-wrote.

Click on the link here for another sample of a 1997 G&L L-1500 bass in performance:
    http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/fatherska/03_spooky_ska.mp3
    This song is "Spooky Ska" by my band Stingray - an original tune which I cowrote.

The L-1500 in these recordings is a stock instrument played through a Trace Elliot SM-series amp. The soundman ran a DI from my amp to the board of the local campus radio station for live broadcast. This is a digital recording of what went directly to air - as faithful as possible to what the audience heard at the gig and on the radio.

These are good representations of what a G&L L-1500 bass actually sounds like in context of performance.

BTW: I special-ordered the #6 neck and have loved it to death for 16 years.