1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Name Question

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by sdguyman, Apr 5, 2006.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Hi,

I know originally G&L originally stood for George Fuller and Leo Fender but has the company changed its name to Guitars by Leo?

What does the current G&L mean?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Guitars by Leo is a popular tribute page to Leo's work, not the name of the company. G&L has always stood for George and Leo.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Yeah Guitars by Leo is just a web site , I have posted a few time there and I believe it is mostly guitar players posting.

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Most of the bass players ignore that site. If it ain't about a guitar nobody gives a toss.:spit: :scowl: :scowl:

Jim

5. It also says Guitars by Leo on the headstock of my L2000 though, so it isn't JUST a website.

GL057.

6. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    The name stands for George and Leo, George being George Fullerton an old friend from the pre-CBS Fender company. Dale Hyatt, another longtime associate, joined them to make up the managment team; in 1984 he and Leo bought out Fullerton's share. (After that, people were told the name meant "Guitars by Leo."

Found on page 71 in "American Basses" by Jim Roberts and published by BackBeat books.

David

7. MAJOR METAL

Yeah but it s not the company's name in reference to the first post.

8. MAJOR METAL

Yeah that was my impression as well.

9. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Early G&Ls (like my '86 El Toro) used to say "by Leo Fender" below the G&L logo. Around 1990 (just before Leo's death in 91) the 'other' Fender guitar manufacturer sued to have Leo Fender's name (in a signature script) removed from G&L headstocks. That's when the 'Guitars by Leo' tag line appeared (the change happened around the time of the sale of the company to BBE Sound).

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Wouldn't it have to be GbyL instead of G&L? :confused:

11. Rick W

Rick W

Jun 11, 2006
    ...when the company first started it was George & Leo. When health and other issues removed George from work at the factory, the G&L then stood for Guitars & Leo. That's what Dale told me in the early 90's when we talked on a regular basis.
    Rick

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's also good Marketing. :)

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So now that Leo is gone, what does it stand for? :)

It'll always be "George & Leo" to me.

14. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California

Your headstock is obviously an excpetion, I mean come on? Your d string is just too good for that string retainer huh? :bag: :) :)

Anyway, I always thought that it was george & leo. Intresting conversation though.