Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squierplayer120, Dec 29, 2004.

1. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I played a G&L L-2500 today. Probably best bass I have played in my life. Anyone agree? Disagree? :bassist:

2. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Be very careful with G&Ls you'll find they are addictive!
    I've bought 4 in the last 14 months. :D

3. Ummmm.

I have been bitten by the G&L bug more than a few times. :hyper:

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :hyper: G&L ROCK :hyper:

5. I still can't get over how good mine sounds... they really are tremendous instruments. The L2500 with both pickups on, set to series with the preamp engaged, should be one of the signature bass tones like the Ric, P-Bass, Jazz, and Stingray. It just sounds huge, tight, and powerful.

6. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    Yep, it doesnt hurt either that they have terrible resale value when compared to other basses in the same class (musicman, rick, etc.) You can find some damn good deals on them.

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
  8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool , congrads on the G&L. I still really would like to try the ASAT Semihollow sometime.

9. A lot of the stuff on that page borders on libel. It's widely acknowledged that Ed Roman is a jacka$$, and he's offering a product that competes with G&L's. Take his advice for what it's worth - he's a guitar guy, not a bassist, and one with a bad reputation to boot.

10. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I found that the other day when I was on the Guitars by Leo
    page. Thats a killer site.

this is what put the :( on my face:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Ian,

First of all I must say that even when I carried G&L, I hated the Basses, they were clubby, clumsy and too heavy. Leo would have rolled over in his grave if he knew what those guys were doing to his creations. The pickups were OK but the basses were real Oinkers.

As for Dave "LipService" McLaren, He is the son of the new owner. A nice enough guy, even likable, but absolutely no spine. He used to try to placate me all the time with my problems. I finally told them all to burn in Hell and decided to blow off the line. I am glad I did. I never looked back for even a second.

Jim Mouradian is probably your best bet in Boston. I like him and trust his work. I send him any and all work that I can. It's a pity that Boston is such a no money town. Hardly anyone in that town buys expensive guitars. They are a bunch of retro heads up there and I don't do much Vintage. I sell more guitars in Eugene Oregon than I do in the entire state of Massachusetts, The population of Eugene is probably less than Revere or Brookline or some other Boston suburb.

I would go out of business in one week if I relied on Boston business. No offense to you, I spent money advertising up there etc etc and I even did a couple of guitar shows. I was completely blown away with the lack of people with any money to spend. I do more business in Plano Texas than the entire state of Massachussetts, Hey this is starting to sound like a rant.... Oh well.

I'll close this little letter by saying SCREW G&L!! they are definitely not handmade!!

Ed Roman

11. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY

This guy sounds like a quack of a guitar doctor. I like that part about "my sales stategy". What an a$$. Even if his basses are descent, I don't like his sales tactic of blatently discrediting a renound instument.

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have a G&L ASAT and I love it. I still find new sounds after a year of owning it.

I would not pay attention to Ed Roman, he is a blowhard.

Why would he speak highly of G&L, he doesn't sell them. He is competition for them though. Ah, all of the sudden it all makes sense.

He trashed PRS guitars because he got his dealship with PRS taken away because he was re-topping guitars and selling them as fresh from the factory.

13. Dave McLaren is very customer friendly! He visits the guitarsByLeo.com forum from time to time. I have called and talked to him personally, and he is very much there for G&L owners. ;)

As mentioned, he probably got kicked from G&L as a dealer and is mad. :spit:

14. Love my G&L ASAT Semi-hollow!

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    AMEN to that! I finally lowered the pickups on my Trib L2K, retstrung it with EBs and did another setup. I now can put it in series (both pickups on) with preamp on (no treble boost) and dim the treble knob a bit. Pure punch, power and fingerstyle rock tone.

G&Ls are excellent and the Tribute line is amazing for the price.

16. I've got an L-2000 that I bought new in '98. That thing is rock solid, the only problem I've ever had with it was the saddle lock set screw broke because *I* tightened it too much. Operator error. G&L went out of their way to get me the part for free. That bass is my main player, I've clobbered the shizzle out of that thing and it comes back for more. I cannot say enough good stuff about that bass or the customer service the company has given me.

As far as Ed "the Evil Leprechaun" Roman... take a pass on any of the Lucky Charms he has to offer. I don't suggest reading any of the tripe he has on his page- but it's all about slamming brands he doesn't sell. Bad scene.

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmmm... let's see.... who's opinion should we trust about these basses? A bunch of players that use them on a regular basis, or a salesman trying to sell us something else? Seems like a no brainer to me.

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a G&L L2000 that I bought new in 1984 and it is still kicking ass. I can't see myself ever selling it. I will someday get it a brother(2500) :D

Oh, and BTW I went into Roman's store this year when I was in Vegas and I thought it was lame. He had a couple of decent basses but most of it was junk. Same with his guitars.
    I also remember him being a little over priced.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How does the semi hollow body work with the G&L pickups?.