1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G string buzz on a Rick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Sep 30, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My Rick, the very first fret on the G is buzzing. I looked at the nut it seems a little large for for a G string almost like someone strung it lefty, but not the same size groove as the E, being it buzzes at the first fret could this be the culprit? I raised the action slightly and it solves the problem of the fret buzzing but my G is a little high over the pup and is a little quiet now, could it be a neck adjustment? I plan on taking it to a set up guy but looking for some info before I go and see him...thanks

2. I have just recieved email from a user stating that this thread has appeared three times across the boards. Because it is a setup issue i will leave it.

In future dont double or triple post things. It will be deleted next time.

Merls

3. Here's what I would do:

Use that Rick to paddle upstream and buy a Fender.

:D

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I posted only one time, I don't understand how this could have happened? But it was not my intention.

5. Rickenbackers have 2 truss rods and this could be the problem.

You can raise the pup up a turn or two on that string side.

Are you using lighter guage strings then what was on it before........most likely yes.

Keep in touch........I like the old 4000 ricks!

;) Treena

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hey Treena,

Two truss rods, I did not know that. I have DR highbeams 40-100's on there now. I just noticed some slight little buzzes here and there too, not from the G. I think if I replaced the nut it may help it looks a little wore down, it's a 78 so it may have a little to do with it. It may be a combination of the nut and a truss rod adjustment. I got it from my sister her and I never took it in to a pro yet. I dare not even attempt to try to adjust it myself. The action seems a little high and I am still getting buzzing more than one place now, it's very subtle but as you know I can't let it stay that way. Thanks for the advise.

thanks Rick