G string buzz on a Rick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Sep 30, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My Rick, the very first fret on the G is buzzing. I looked at the nut it seems a little large for for a G string almost like someone strung it lefty, but not the same size groove as the E, being it buzzes at the first fret could this be the culprit? I raised the action slightly and it solves the problem of the fret buzzing but my G is a little high over the pup and is a little quiet now, could it be a neck adjustment? I plan on taking it to a set up guy but looking for some info before I go and see him...thanks
  2. I have just recieved email from a user stating that this thread has appeared three times across the boards. Because it is a setup issue i will leave it.

In future dont double or triple post things. It will be deleted next time.

3. Here's what I would do:

Use that Rick to paddle upstream and buy a Fender.

4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I posted only one time, I don't understand how this could have happened? But it was not my intention.
  5. Rickenbackers have 2 truss rods and this could be the problem.

You can raise the pup up a turn or two on that string side.

Are you using lighter guage strings then what was on it before........most likely yes.

Keep in touch........I like the old 4000 ricks!

;) Treena
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hey Treena,

Two truss rods, I did not know that. I have DR highbeams 40-100's on there now. I just noticed some slight little buzzes here and there too, not from the G. I think if I replaced the nut it may help it looks a little wore down, it's a 78 so it may have a little to do with it. It may be a combination of the nut and a truss rod adjustment. I got it from my sister her and I never took it in to a pro yet. I dare not even attempt to try to adjust it myself. The action seems a little high and I am still getting buzzing more than one place now, it's very subtle but as you know I can't let it stay that way. Thanks for the advise.

thanks Rick