1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G1's 5th build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gone, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Okay, so officially I havn't started my 4th build yet but I always intended to build my 4th and 5th at the same time.

New things for me for this build:
    - new shape
    - Multi-scale
    - might try adding a build in wah-wah controlled by a whammy like bar

Woods:
    - Neck: padauk - maple - imbuia - maple - padauk
    - Body: ash with crotch walnut on top
    - fretboard: maple, binding and blocks in imbuia

It's going to be a set through neck with a tranny block

Pickup: going to be a hand wound. My initial idea was to copy wilsers PJ hybrid (except adapt for multi-scale) but might change.

Design:
    [​IMG]

Almost started today, but ended up tidying my workshop and fixing an acoustic instead. At least I'll have a tidy workshop when I do start, maybe tomorrow, more likely next weekend :)

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    looks cool man, get started on those 2 bad boys

3. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Officially started :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hows that for neck woods (!)

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    ...is saliva bad for laptops keyboards?

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    cool! can i ask you a question (since im having an isssue on my build)? what is your method for making your neck lams? i know this sounds simple, but i made mine all on a table saw and the thinner peices didnt all stay straight in the saw and got some serious saw marks and crooked cuts. i didnt have this issue on my last build because the neck lams were thicker. any tips?

6. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    I also have those problems. I think it boils down to having a good quality table saw with a good fence. Maybe others have better advice :-/

7. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    yeah, my table saw, joiner, and bandsaw (which i broke yesterday) are very old tools that i inherited from an elderly uncle that cant use them anymore.

8. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    the second neck blank doesn't have equal laminates. The small purpleheart strip to the right seems a bit bigger. Is it just the angle? great wood choices, btw

9. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Your eye's don't deceive you. I'm trying to decide if I should make a new neck blank or not. It seems a waste as that blank could be a nice neck. But seeing as I intend to sell both of these I should be aiming for perfect.

Also if oriented correctly and once shaped it might be less obvious.

I'm quite happy with the wood choices though. I'm hoping to end up with 2 basses that are very different from anything you can get off the shelf.

10. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i would not worry about it because it is very minimal and most players wouldn't even notice. i just did because i have done it a few times. lol don't worry about it. if you don't think it is worthy of selling, make yourself one sweet sweet bass with it

11. Maybe you can shape the neck asymmetrical, making the bass side thicker than the treble side, so the thicker strings are being hold by more wood. Then, the uneven laminates could contribute to the neck design. Just an idea :rolleyes:.

12. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    That thought had crossed my mind :)

13. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    An update on this build.

- did the scarf joint
    - installed truss rod
    - tapered the neck
    - glued walnut veneer on the headstock
    - rough cut headstock shape
    - cut maple fingerboard to size and bound in imbuia

Planning on doing the block markers in imbuia as well. However thought it might look cool with paduak markers on the 12th and 24th fret, which will match the neck woods nicely :)

Had a bit of a snag with the scarf joint. I did a normal scarf joint with the band saw and added the compound angle (if thats the right word) to match the nut angle with a hand planner afterwards. However that ended up with the one side of the headstock thinner than the other. So I've added some veneers to the one side to build up thickness again. I'm planning on adding a veneer over the whole of the back of the headstock to hide the mistake :meh:

[​IMG]

14. tonester

tonester

Jun 1, 2009
    chicago il
    commercial user
    i cant wait to see the finished product,from the pictures it looks like itsgoing to be
    a wicked bass,good luck!

15. Depending on how you do your scarf joint, that is where it may become painfully obvious (spoken from experience).

16. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    The scarf came out well. You can see the mismatch but it's not very obvious.
    I've since glued the fingerboard and shaped the neck on the 4 string (which came out really nice). But I guess this belongs in my other thread. It's supposed to be one build per thread.

This build: I've slotted the fingerboard and glued it to the neck, but havn't yet shaped the neck. I've got a busy couple of weeks coming (including recording a CD) so I imagine progress is going to be paused for at least 2 weeks.

17. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Finally got started on the body wings. Also glued them to the neck and did a little work on the heal:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new shape seems to balance well on the knee. Although I'm still to add the walnut top.

18. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Got the walnut top on this bass, also some rough shaping:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's a pity the center line is showing on the top. I've never been that great at basic joining. Although I'm hopefully joining a luthiery class soon and having a go at building a violin, which should stretch my wood working abilities.

19. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Done the block inlays. That was quite a bit of effort. Normally I just stick to an inlay on the 12th fret, but doing 10 inlays on a fingerboard is rather time consuming (!)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    coolio, i really like the blocks.