gahhh second thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corrosivemind19, Dec 26, 2005.

1. I might want to return my B2R and look at the other stuff at GC....I saw a SWR 750x head there for only 600. but i dont no....any thoughts guys?

but heres also a thought to consider. Iam only 16 in a crappy highschool band and i used to have a Carvin PB200-15 160 watter and i wanted to upgrade from that. so maybe 350 watts is enough?. i hear that its a quiet 350 but i havent tried it on the B212 i am gunna order from avatar. but yeah iam not sure.

2. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Ampeg and SWR are like apples and oranges. Ampeg is mid-boost biased while SWR is mid-cut biased. That said, I think the Ampeg is more versatile.

But, hell, if you have 600 bucks to spend, you could buy this and have 100 bucks left over. And Mesa watts are VERY loud. I have played all their stuff and have to say this thing sounds like 550 watts. The 750x? It sounds like 350 watts.

As far as versatility and power goes, the Mesa eats your other two choices for breakfast. Its the 3 band semi-parametric eq that does that.

I would say to go and play stuff at the store first and decide what kind of sound you like best. Spend extra time on the Mesa because a semi-parametric eq can be a very tricky thing if you are new to them.

Any questions? You can PM me for a detailed explanation on a semi-parametric eq.

Oh and for what it's worth, I can dial in the SWR sound on my Mesa with just 2 knobs.
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    For just a little more $ you could snag one of the used T-funk 420's that have popped up lately & be done with your amp search :D

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd look at the Mesa as well, take the B2-R back. It's not worth the steel casing it's in.
  5. dont forget guys. i need money for that avatar also.....all together i have like 850 and i need to save like 350 for that avatar...that leads 500 for a head. So wat are your thoughts?
    how much is the mesa your talking abuot?
  6. plus, dont tube amps have maintainance?

I just need a nice 500 dollar or used. just not ebay.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tube amps don't need any more maintainence than solid state amps, as long as you don't put crap tubes in it.

But for $500, i'd look at the Yorkville XS400H. Much better & much LOUDER than the B2-R.
  8. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used both the Yorkville and the Mesa. Both are solid, dependable anps and both sound big. If money is a concern, I'd go with the Yorkville XM400H. I've used one on a couple gigs through an SWR 4X10 and it was a very good sound with way more power than I needed.

I own the Mesa Walkabout myself and for me it's worth the extra money. it's a little monster and hard to believe it's rated at "only" 300 watts. Big tubelike sound if you want it and it'll do the clean thing too. The parametric EQ is no problem to master. I hardly have to use it except for minor tweaks.

I've used it to drive 1X15s and 4X10s and it does so easily. You'd swear it's a much bigger amp. I've used mine for almost 2 years now with not a problem and haven't had to replace either of its 2 preamp tubes. They last a LONG time. You really should at least try one.
  9. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Last time I checked, just the Walkabout head itself was $474 at GC. In the Misc section, TBer DMB walked out with one for $500 + tax. If it turns out that they are a little bit more expensive than what I said, you can haggle with them. Be polite though. I wouldn't worry about too much about the Avatar just yet. Everyone here is impatient when it comes to getting new gear, but if waiting a few weeks before being able to order a cabinet means getting a great deal on a Walkabout, I would go for the Walkabout.
  10. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    +1 on firebug's post above.
  11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Dang it! Last month GC told me $899 on the Walkabout. Are they running some kind of special on these now??