1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gaillen-Krueger Amp;4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Veed, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Veed

Veed

Jun 1, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've been in need of a new bass amp for a while now, and i've been looking locally for one. i've found a guy who is selling a 300 watt GK Backline 600 with 1 or 2 GK 4x10 cabinets at a decent price.
    So the question: Is GK a reliable company? this gear is said to be less than 1 year old.

2. I've had mine for two years and it's never failed me. If you can swing it though, I'd go for the 700RBII head if you can, the BL600 is great, but the 700 is awesome. Either way, GK won't let you down.

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    As far as dependability, IMHO, G.K. is at or near the top! (Although they are having dependability problems with the new MB500.)
    I bought my G.K. 800 new in 1984.
    It's been in constant use since.
    It's never went down.
    I've no experience with the 600. One thing to remember. That head is 300 watts into 4 ohms. If you go with "one" 8 ohm cab your only gonna get around 180 watts from the head. Depending on the type of music your playing and the volume level of the band, 180 watts won't go very far before distortion.
    My 800 is 300 watts into 4 ohms and I've used it with many "loud" bands . The secret is to have enough speakers running for the 300 watts to work with.

4. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    GK makes solid amps. By far my favorite amp. GC sells them. Go test the one you are looking at. This way you can compare it to what is there. Good luck!

5. 1buba

1buba

Mar 19, 2006
    Placerville, CA
    GK is what I'm running and I love it...

IIRC, I think I read a post somewhere on here that the Backline 600 is their best selling amp.

I have a MB2-500 and a 410 NEO cab. LOVE it.

6. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    you gotta remember backline is GK's walmart brand if you will.. i'm not knocking it and i'm not knocking walmart i'm just saying it may be worth your while to save some more money and go for a GK 700RBII or even a 1001RBII. in my opinion if you could swing it i'd get a 1001RBII and only 1 4x10 cab for now.. save up and buy the second 4x10 or 1x15.. you didnt mention what kind of GK cabs they are.. i would assume they are backlines as well but you know what they say about assuming..

if you do buy them just take good care of them (as i'm sure you are planning to do) and i'd bet you get a good 10 years outta them easily

7. If you use and like a tweeter in your cabs I'd save for the 700rb, because it has a biamp feature to separate the power deliverd to the tweeter. the 600 is just as great tonewise and they were said to be the same amp, its just that one is cheaper to make. THe 600 doesn't include the bi-amp feature.

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1 for the "save and buy a 700RB" option. I'm running mine through a SWR Goliath Jr and the tone I'm pumping out is killer.

9. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    What GK 410 is it? If its the 410GLX I'd pass on it. Its good for practice i guess but it wont be good for a gig. I picked up a BL600 and 410GLX for cheap off craigslist and I just didnt cut it. Sounded like poo when it was loud, cab got EXTREMLY farty.

However, the BL600 is a nice little head for the money. I use it as my backup and it plays pretty nice through my Avatar 410

10. Veed

Veed

Jun 1, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    thanks everyone
    sounds like the 700RB ll is the way to go?
    so then GK makes a 700 RB ll with 210RBH combo, 320 watts. So would it be better to get this combo and add an extension if i need it, or get the 700RB-ll and a seperate cabinet?

11. Veed

Veed

Jun 1, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    ok i've looked deeper into the the first option i mentioned and the cabs are Goldline 4x10s....so backline head w/ goldline cab

12. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    I'd recomend getting both cabs, if you're going down this route. due to the amplifier, it will literally double your power outputting, whic lets you have the full 300 watts. it'd be a great first stack, and will sound pretty darn nice! I've heard this amp running through a 2x10+1x15 and it sounds really nice, got a little bit of a thump to it too!

13. jimccolorado

jimccolorado

Feb 16, 2009
    Just got one last month...RB 700 with a NEO 410 cab. Blew a speaker on the first cab (it had been on the demo floor), got a replacement...the band I just joined calls it "first class gear". When more gig money arrives I may add the NEO 115. I love the RB 700 head, much better tone and flexibility than the Backline, but think if you're starting out the rig will serve you well and you can trade up later.

14. DiggityBass

DiggityBass

Feb 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been using a G-K 1001RB-II for about 4 years now and I love it. Unfortunately it's no longer quite what I need power/feature wise. I run a david eden nemesis 410 with my G-K head and I'd like to add a second 410 but this is something I can't do with my G-K because of the ohm rating on my cab. However, I am considering the G-K preamp and a separate crown power amp.

Personally, I don't care for the G-K cabs I've played out of. I've owned two and quickly ditched them for the eden nemesis which is a fantastic cab for a really great price.