GAIN, GAIN, AND MOAR GAIN.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N I C lK, Nov 3, 2011.

1. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York
    What are some great bass amps with loads of gain, distortion, overdrive etc.? Of course "Electric Amps" makes extremely high gain amps but they only make 6 stringers I believe. I have seen Al Cisneros of Sleep playing out them though.

So, if you found a really nice, bassy, fuzzy guitar amp like a Soldano-SLO-100, could you play out of it and sound good? Well, for StonerDoom anyways.

Just wondering. Post pics of your amps if they are high gain bass amps.

2. Every now then I play through a Peavey 6505 on the rhythym channel for distorted tone. I've also used a VHT Pitbull with pretty good results. It tends to be really bright and thin, but as as you cut back on the highs and bump the mids it'll work in a band mix.

3. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Jan 20, 2011
    As far as I know, Al uses two Electric Amps (1 is a power unit, no?) and some Marshall guitar head for distortion (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Most of the Overdriven bass sounds from Stoner/Doom bands come from either cranked all tube amps (like an SVT), or with the help of OD/Fuzz pedals.

The Orange AD200b has lots of gain on tap. The Lemmy Signature Marshall head is also a gain monster. The Sunn 300T/Fender 300Pro has a dedicated distortion channel. Those are the only ones that I know of that could be classified as "High Gain"...

4. Dustin Teel

Dustin Teel Guest

Jun 2, 2011
    First amp that came to mind based on your description would be the Marshall MB450H. 450 watts 4 ohms for under $500. Excellent tone, perfect amp for Stoner/Doom. And it's a bass head, not a guitar head.

It has two channels. A modern clean channel, and a classic gain/overdrive channel. You can isolate each or mix the two. Since it seems like the amount of bass distortion on Stoner/Doom records varies per song, this would be absolutely ideal. Also, the amp has that natural "80s British, clunky bass" tone about, which is perfect for said genre. Pair it with a quality 2x15 cab and you would be set.

Best of luck!

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The issue you run into with amps made for guitar is the output transformers aren't designed to pump out the low end. The electric guys do make amps for bass, most of their stuff is made to order I believe so if you tell them you want a boat load of gain and good bass response they could probably do it. As far as production amps, the orange AD200 is pretty gritty IMO, especially if you're cranking it for a doom band. Same with some other lower wattage tube amps. You can really dime them to get dirt, but you risk running out of power. Basically any tube amp with independent gain and master can be driven to distortion, just crank one and control your level with the other. Whether you prefer pre-amp or power amp distortion (and how often you want to change your power tubes) would determine how you set the two.

6. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York
    I am actually getting an Orange Terror Bass 500 in the mail and it should be here soon. Do you think that will give me some okay gain? 2 12AX7 pre-amps should be alright. I also have a Bass Big Muff and soon will have a Boss-ODB3 if the Orange isn't enough for me. Do you think the Bass Terror will do its job well?

7. Dustin Teel

Dustin Teel Guest

Jun 2, 2011
    Absolutely. The Orange Terror Bass 500 would be ideal for what you are doing. Mastodon, arguably the most significant stoner metal band in the world at the moment, uses Orange, and their live sound and recordings are outstanding in my opinion.

I believe you will be perfectly set, and completely happy.

8. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York
    "The Hunter" is kind of psychadelic-stoner-ish but, I don't like it and the rest of the their catalog is either completely Sludge Metal or Prog. But I see what you meant with the Orange :cool:

Troy Sanders uses a Orange 200AD amp and that's full tube. The Bass Terror is a hybrid. I am unsure about how it will perform because of the lack of tubes. Thanks though!

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    From the clips of the two I've heard in comparison, the TB does a decent job mimicking the AB-200 but certainly doesn't have the exact same tone. I think if you're going with pedals anyhow you should definitely be able to get there with the combination of the TB and the Muff.

10. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York
    Thanks man! I thought it would be a lot different sounding but, if they are as similar as you say I should be fine. Would a 500 Watt Terror Bass be louder than a 50 Watt tube guitar head (Laney AOR and a Randall RT50 are what my band mates play). I will be on par with them, right?

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I love a Recto on top of my bass tone for some bite and high gain, but as a main or only amp, no way it'd work for me.

12. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I just got a Terror Bass 500-Loads of gain-
    (I no longer need to use my Fulltone Bassdrive pedal in my set-up)-
    I use mine through an Ampeg 810-
    No problem at all keeping up with 2 100w guitar rigs &
    LOUD drummer.

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    You can split your signal and run a clean signal through a bass rig and a dirty signal through a guitar rig. Otherwise, Electric, Orange, Marshall, Sunn o))) and Mesa are good choices. The Mesa Big Block 750 supposedly has a great overdrive, and I'd imagine the Titan V12 would too.

14. mck0rn

mck0rn

Dec 24, 2008
    Yeah the terror bass sounds great but sings differently, if you want all tube sound you have to get all tube heads. And with my ad200 I can have it clean and shimmery to some pretty dirty ****

15. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Mesa D-180 ;)

16. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The GK Fusion 550 can get some really nice overdrive from it's tube preamp. The Mesa BB/Titan also have dedicated tube OD channels. The GK 2001RB has a dedicated SS OD channel which is capable of some pretty hefty fuzz.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    How about moire gain? :D

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021