Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tihi, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Hi there!

I have an GK400RB (the old one) and no name 15' cabinet.
    When I put the settings over GAIN 5, MASTER 6-7 the sound gets distorted. (everything bellow that is not loud enough)
    Any sugestions?
    What kind of cabinet would you sugest? (how strong)?

Thanks!
    Tihi

2. get a new cab. 8 ohm at least 200 watts.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You're trying to get too much out of that amp. Either get a pair of 8 ohm cabs, unless that 15" is a 4 ohm in which case you really need a new head before new cabs. But a pair of 8 ohm cabs would allow you to move more air than the single 15 incher. Also, they'd move you closer to the amps maximum power output. How are your EQ settings? Regardless of EQ pushing that amp with the master at 7 is really hard. Another option might be getting a power amp and using the GK's preamp section and a line out to power to the power amp thereby getting you more power. But you'd need to be sure the cabinet could handle it. Lots of options, what's the budget?

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Without more info, it's tough to identify the problem. Try reducing the input gain, because it might be clipping, especially if you have a high output bass. Try using the -10 db pad, and adjusting from there. (I've had to do this with a high output Precision into my 700RB, which has the same preamp.)

Also, where do you have the boost and bass controls? With those cranked, you increase the likelihood of distortion.

But the culprit is likely the cab. Bring your head into a music store and test it with better cabs and see what happens.

5. How is the boost control set?
    On my 700Rb I also set the contour at 12, the sound is less warm but cut through better so i don't have to push the amp.

6. Thanks!

The boost is always at zero. I have an fender jazz bass '76.
    Gonna try some cabinets at a store!
    Any recommendations?

7. Depending on what you're looking for, generally more speaker area will get you more volume for the wattage. Granted, it has a lot to do with cabs efficiency, too. Probably can't go wrong with a 4x10.

8. On a GK head, you should really run the boost at least partway up. Try it at 12 oclock and back it off a little from there.

9. On my 1001RB, I run the boost at 12 o'clock and the master at 3 o'clock, then use the volume gain to taste.

10. Have a rehersal tomorow, gonna try with the boost, and low master. Thank you all!