1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger vs. Markbass - Something different this time!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ander87, Nov 7, 2018.

1. GK Plex DI box + MB112 powered 200w to keep at home

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Markbass nano 300w + NY/Traveller 12" cab to keep at home

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Ander87

Ander87

Nov 7, 2018
    Hi all!

First post here! I picked a Spector Legend 5 Neck through with Aguilar passive soapbars and active pre OBP2. I play mostly RnB / Soul / Folk... I need a reliable clean thick tone, deep for the genre. I finger style but I will slap when the technique is there someday. I started playing a couple weeks ago (been a guitarist for years) as I will be playing bass for my wife's EP, gigs starting late February.

With the bass sorted, I need an amp solution for both rehearsals, practise at home and live gigs. Live I would want to use both a signal for stage and the DI to the Front of House/PA. Since I figured it's best to have the same tone in all scenarios to learn it and tweak it, my options are:

A: Gallien-Krueger Plex DI box + Gallien-Krueger MB112 Powered at 200w: I assume I can plug the Plex directly to the powered cab at home, then take the DI box only to plug to house amps and PA/FoH in gigs and rehearsal studios.

B: Markbass nano 300w head + Marbass 12" (NY or Traveller? which one would you recommend?). Both using at home, then take the head for rehearsals and gigs. Would 300w be enough for clubs and medium sized gigs? We're a guitarist, a drummer, a keyboardist, a bass and of course a singer. This way I'd have a proper amp but I depend more of the 300w I guess? what if I'd need more on certain stages? On the other end I have a feeling (assumption) that a "real head" will do better tones than a DI box just?

What do you think on this? Your advise is highly appreciated!

Ander.

2. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Coupla comments on the MB ‘stuff’...

1) The Nano head is 150w @ 8ohm (300 @ 4ohm)- so you’ll only be getting 150w thru either (single) cab.
    I actually have one for sale: For Sale - Markbass Nano Mark 300 head w/Gator bag (only selling cause I have several other heads- it never gets used).

2) The Traveler 121H has a horn (the ‘H’) vs a piezo tweeter which gives a ‘nicer’ high-end + is rear-ported, and larger, which gives it a bit of a ‘richer’ tone.... but the NY121 is smaller, lighter... & a bit punchier.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018