Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Jan 13, 2006.

1. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Not alot of talk about GK since that reliability fiasco a few years ago. Anybody still playing they're products? I'm in the final stages of purchasing a 4x10 SBX and wondering if there are any reasons I shouldn't continue.

I have played the cab many times in music stores auditioning amps and basses. So the other day I actually went in and auditioned the cab. I think it sounds great, I like the fact the it's a sealed cab, gives it a really punchy bottom end, and the tweeter is a nice addition too. It almost seems like they aimed to make a classic sounding cab with a modern vibe to it. IMO they succeeded.
  2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Which board are you lookin' at? There seems to be a daily GK thread around here. :)

Try a search. It should yield a few hundred threads for you to view. As a matter of fact, there are two threads about GKs on the first page of the amp forum.
  3. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I play the newer GK stuff and it rocks. Best by far IMHO.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The newest generation of GK stuff is great quality and great value.
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love my 700RBII head. When not playing it, it's permanently stored - winter and summer - bouncing-around in the trunk of my car.

I'm house soundguy for a place that has 'all-ages night' every Saturday. I'll bring it in for anyone who wants to use it (Also my JBL JRX-125 cab, if they like...) - the hardcore guys love the to dial-in that G.I.V.E.-Technology (Gate Induced Valve Effect) distortion!

I run it with just a little growl from the G.I.V.E. 'boost' control, but it'll run crystal-clean too.

This thing is abused, both when making music, AND when not. I have no worries at all concerning reliability.

6. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    I see alot about the heads, surprisingly a search only got me about 50 topics.

Maybe I made a type.
  7. I am sure you'll enjoy the cabs. Personally, I prefer the NEO line as they have a fuller sound and are lighter , plus they use GK's HMS. The new GK stuff is top notch and you should not be at all concerned.

You might want to try to see how long it will take for the NEO 410's to hit the market. They have been designed and tested by in house GK guys and the word is they are kickin' arse. Should be ready for the NAMM show.
  8. You're right. Most of the threads are about the heads. I see very little mention of the cabs. We seem to discuss GK, Ashdown, Mesa and Eden heads with frequency, but seldom discuss their cabs.
  9. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    I went back to the store today before they started lessons. Owner let me crank the thing. I liked it, my girlfriend likes it, tomorrow I buy it :hyper:

Edit: I spelt it right, and got about 15000 threads :)
  10. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1! GK 2001RB with a Neo 4x12 cab.
  12. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    just wait till they release the valve pre that might appear at NAMM. imagine the possibilities when you pair up a 1001RB-II with their own valve pre.

13. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    Long-time GK user and lover, but frankly I'm a little surprised at the idea of GK using tubes.
    As I understand the story, the company began with the concept of a lighter amp that sounded good without tubes, I think they have succeeded and it seems strange to me to think of a GK with tubes, even though a tube preamp wouldn't really add that much weight.
  14. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've used GK heads for over 25 years, bought the first one in 1976. I also use other brands, but I can tell you that the current GK 700 / 1001rb II models sound great, and are durable and reliable. Excellent bang for the buck too.
  15. klamaz

Aug 8, 2004
    I'm currently running a GK preamp, and I love it. To be honest, I didn't really like the GK cab I've played through(The tone wasn't great, and it couldn't take anywhere near the 600watts I was able to push through it). but it was rather old and I don't even know what line it was, so the new stuff may be much better..
  16. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I'm giddy. Can't wait:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  17. My rack has an empty space ready for it :hyper:
  18. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    nobody uses the 800rb anymore? i was thinking about getting one of those...
  19. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes, it's a great amp. Probably in more backlines than anything but an SVT. You really can't go wrong.
  20. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I always hated it when I spelt things wrong ;) :meh: