Gary Grainger

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 17, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Gary Grainger is not a bass superstar, but I'm sure that many of you are familiar with his playing with Pockets and John Scofield. I've had an album he made with his brother called Grainger, "Phase I" for a few years, but I've recently paid real attention to it. Simply put, I think he may be the best conventional slapper around. His technique is not ground breaking, but he is awfully tasty.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think brad johnson may know him. he may be in the DC/Baltimore area.

i could be wrong, though...
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That makes sense because Pockets was a Baltimore band. I know his group with his brother, Grainger, has at least one other album out. I know I just love his slap tone on that first Grainger album. He has a very modern tone that reminds of a Ken Smith or some other nice high-end bass. His slapping is wonderfully smooth and groove conscious.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pick Hits Live - yummy
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Last time I saw hi('96?), Grainger was playing a 4-string Smith bass.
    It was a pretty cool & informative clinic...with fellow Bawlmore-area guys Carl Filipiak & Larry Bright. The best part was when Bright & Grainger demonstrated 'displacement'-
    1-Both "on"
    2-Bass "on", Drums "off"
    3-Bass "off", Drums "on"
    4-Bass & Drums "off"

Filpipiak asked, "...guys, was I even close"?

I also like Sco's Pick Hits Live. I think I had Grainger sign it on that day.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Gary a very talented Bassist still uses his Smith,and his Vintage MM .but for the last several years he's been using PRS Basses(he's been doing some R&D for them as well)

One of my Favorite performance memories is when me and Gary played together at a NAMM show(his pocket was as solid as solid itself)
  7. Gary Grainger's work with John Scofield and particularly, Pick Hits Live, was a pretty big influence on me. I highly recommend that recording. I always wanted that sound, both audio and playing-wise. I'm not familiar with any of his other recordings but I should really check them out.

- Dave
  8. +1
    Yep I love that album
    Even watchin the drum video of Dennis Chambers "In the Pocket " where it features numbers from the album
    Even a rhythm section duo between Gary & Dennis very groovy
  9. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    +1 for the video, my bro is a drummer and i borrowed it once i saw that Chambers/Grainger duo thing. Good stuff.
  10. I've never had the pleasure of seeing/hearing Gary live but I completely agree about his technique and musicianship - if you can get a copy of either of John Scofield's instructional DVDs - I think they are roughly entitled Jazz Funk Guitar or something similar - the line up on there is stunning - Jim Beard (keys) Dennis Chambers - and Gary slaps this brilliant bass line with such a smooth, fluid groove and wonderful thumb/pop technique it beggers belief - the man is definitely a slapper par excellence - a real muso and very understated - get a look at those vids - they are very impressive.
  11. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Gary has also done some good work with Maysa Leak also.
  12. how about Loud Jazz? I thought the slapping was innovative (as was the sound) back in the day (1987)

now I gotta listen to Pick Hits Live.
    edit:its good!
  13. One of the best rhythm sections ever!!! GARY GRAINGER + DENNIS CHAMBERS...
    jebmd likes this.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Didn't see this thread the first time around.

Gary is a Maryland bassist (a damn good one) and very good people too. He's using his set neck PRS 5 that was in development for quite a while. Nice bass. Before that he used Smiths and before that Musicman basses, not sure what else besides that. I recall him supposedly using an Ibanez bass on Larry Bright's solo cd.
  15. DLM

May 25, 2004
    Saw him at the PRS NAMM show exhibit in 2006. Awesome player and not mentioned too much around here. I love this guy's slap technique. Anyone know if he has any instructional videos?
  16. Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    +1 On this post. First time I read about Gary Grainger was in a copy of "Guitar Player" in the late '80's playing with Sco, & then caught him on a late night concert played in an outdoor venue in Denmark.

Great "in the pocket interplay on "On So You Say" (Loud Jazz) between Gary & Dennis Chambers. Really loved his slapping on his Stingray.

Slammin' Groove!