GAS - YAMAHA RBX375

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mulletpbass, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mulletpbass

mulletpbass

Oct 21, 2008
    Hello guys,
    please tell me this bass is a piece of crap :) (just kidding).

There's a pretty good deal here in Brazil for this bass,
    I don't have any humbucker bass, a friend of mine has
    a MM and I liked very much the sound and how "versatile"
    it is...

[​IMG]

What do you guys think about this bass, from what I found
    here in TB (by searching) it seems to be a good bass.

Thanks,
    Mullet

2. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    I don't have that particular bass, but I own two other Yamahas and they're great quality fro the money. I've heard good things about that one and I kinda want one as well. I say go for it.

3. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    I currently own this bass. It has served me well but if your used to lighter basses I wouldn't recommend it. It feels much heavier in comparison to my Ibanez. The pre-amp isn't all too good, but besides that it plays well. For the price, it's really good.

I say try it first. If you like it, go for it.

4. i've got some sound clips for ya if you're interested. i owned one for a few days and made sure i did some recordings with it. :)

5. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    I'd be interested in hearing those as well since I like how that bass looks. It's be nice to know if it sounds that good too.

6. I'm seeking the clips out on my comp :)

EDIT: okay, they're on my other computer!
    so they will be posted here within a day or two.

in the meantime here's me with the one i had, late last year.
    CIMG0070.gif

by the way, i only had mine for a few days because i decided that with my small hands it was a better idea to become more proficient on a four than move to being a mediocre five player.
    nice sounding instrument!

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I like the two-tone headstock

8. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    Man, I'm feeling my GAS pains coming back. Sexy bass.

9. mulletpbass

mulletpbass

Oct 21, 2008
    this bass seems to be amazing...
    anyone has faced any fretbuzz from this thing?
    the problem it's available only online , the store
    which seems to be the only store with this bass available
    is online...

10. chrisrusty99

chrisrusty99

Oct 2, 2008
    I belive John Myung of Dream Theater used to play one of these...

11. mulletpbass

mulletpbass

Oct 21, 2008
    Yes sound clips are very welcome mate.

Hey Fullmetal, what is wrong with the pre-amp?
    I've realized that the pups are twins so you cannot
    slip the coils and have that "versatility"...

anyway I'm still gassing this bass.

12. MulletP,
    where abouts are you? are you in aus?
    where i am they are rather common in stores.

as for the preamp the only thing that bothers me is that it's only a two band EQ and theres no mid control.

13. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    I don't think so, he had his own custom model, it was more or less a similar design and under the same series but a totally different bass.

14. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19

Mar 5, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I use the RBX375, and i really like how it sounds. Mine gives me quite a beefy tone with the EQ dialed flat. I've used it in Death Metal and Praise & Worship, so I'd say it's quite versatile. As mentioned above, it does run a little on the heavy side. I really love it.

15. I played an RBX 374 as my main bass for almost 2 years. Not the 5-string version, but very similar.

I've tried out the 375 a few times, and I've NEVER liked the way those pickups sound for notes under D or so -- but I haven't played one in ages, so your millage may vary.

My RBX 374 had one of the nicest necks I've ever played on. It wasn't completely rattle free, but I wasn't that good at playing/setting up when I used it. The bass isn't light, but it isn't heavy either; I thought it had a great weight/balance.

The sound of the bass is somewhat "dark" sounding. I don't think it sounds great with both pickups blended together, but you can get some great tones if you edge the balance slightly forward or back. It's VERY versatile and very easy to switch from tone to tone. I always had to EQ the sound somewhat when I used it (boost the low mids quite a bit usually), whereas with my MM Bongo I can often just plug and play.

The preamp isn't great, no. Boosting highs makes it hissy and doesn't do that much for the sound (slight boosts sounds fine), and boosting bass makes it very muddy. However, the preamp works GREAT for cutting (eg, cutting highs, etc). A quick turn of the treble knob can turn you from a bright sound to a deep sound very quickly.

And, my most favourite thing about this bass apart from the neck was... the neck pickup. I just LOVED the sound of that pickup soloed. Kind of like a P-bass but much grittier and darker.

I also had flats on mine for a while, and it sounded VERY interesting. Wish I'd kept the bass, but I was just bored with it and really wanted to just get rid of it and try something new.

The finish on mine was also quite weak. It looked lovely, but flaked off very easily!

Anyway, to sum up, it's a bit dark sounding (not too much warmth), has a GREAT neck, and suits gritty rock/metal very well.

For the price, VERY VERY worth checking out. And if you order one without trying it, I doubt you'd be too disapointed -- very versatile bass, and you can always pop EMGs in if you don't like the pickups or whatever (some EMGs will pop right in).

My Musicman Bongo is better than my 374 in every way... but I still miss it kinda... :(

Hope this helped :)

16. mulletpbass

mulletpbass

Oct 21, 2008
    Hello guys,
    wow thank you very much for the help.

I'm from Brazil, and so far I've found only one store selling
    that yamaha bass on internet but the good news is
    they have a store where I can try the bass.

Let's see
    thank you guys for the help
    Mullet

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I've always said that Yamaha and Ibanez are at the top in my list of manufacturers with budget models of great quality and this bass is no exception, but I have played at least five of those basses (owned by some of my students) since the RBX375 is a very common model in my town and all of them have something in common that makes me go like :meh:: The floppiest B string I've played.

18. interesting, this was not my experience.
    while i was looking to buy a 5 i tried many a brand and this was amoung the nicer B's that i came across within it's price range (and was a lot tighter and nicer than some much more expensive warwicks B strings).

EDIT: Btw, off topic, but Alvaro M.G.A., love your youtube vids!

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021