1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gauges for Drop D?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IvanHardy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    Spector, EMG, Dirtbag Clothing, WB Gear
    so i'm considering having one of my Stingrays in Drop D at all times. It's currently equipped with power slinky's but i'd like to have it set with the right gauges for even tension so it feels right and so my neck doesnt twist eventually. on one site i saw where for Drop D the recommended set was:
    D-110
    A-80
    D-60
    G-40
    does anyone know if this is good set or if anyone else recomends something else?

Plus i also would like to know what i would have to do to set up the bass for Drop D

2. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    so i'm considering having one of my StingRay's in Drop D at all times. It's currently equipped with power slinky's but i'd like to have it set with the right gauges for even tension so it feels right and so my neck doesnt twist eventually. on one site i saw where for Drop D the recommended set was:
    D-110
    A-80
    D-60
    G-40
    does anyone know if this is good set or if anyone else recomends something else?

3. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    There's no way a neck can ever be twisted by the tension of the strings. Use what you want.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Put the bass you have now, with the strings you have on it, in drop D. Sound OK?
    Voila!

5. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    even if the tensions are different? Drop D is less tension on the E string while everything else is tighter. wouldn't different tension mess up the neck?

6. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    ok i have Power slinky's on it. but won't leaving it permanently in D mess up the neck after a while due to the different tension on the E string?

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    1. Don't post duplicate threads.

2. Post in the correct forum. So far you've posted in Basses, and Hardware, Setup & Repair, when your question clearly belongs in the String forum.

8. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    sorry i didn't know where it belonged

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I seriously doubt it.

It takes me about 12 seconds to step on my tuner and change between E and D.

10. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    isn't different tension usually the cause of neck warping?

11. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I use DR High Beams 45-65-86-110 on my Wal and the tension feels really consistent from string to string.

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The gauges you list in your first post are pretty good - the low string might be a little light.

If you change out the .110 for a .115 or a .120 the set will balance better.

FWIW, the sets I sell for drop D are;

.118 .080 .061 .043
    or
    .112 .076 .054 .040

13. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    well i love ernie ball strings thats what i use. what if i were to use 45, 65, 85, 110?

14. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Wrong direction - the high strings were fine in the set you listed in your first post. It's the low string that's the problem.

The .110 set you specify would be decently balanced for D standard.

15. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    i use 45 65 85 105 no problems in drop d

16. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    are those regular slinky or hybrid slinky gauges and do you keep it in Drop D all the Time?

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I use the .45-1.05 EBs and (currently) Blue Steels. Sometimes I leave it in drop D, sometimes even in C. No problems.

Look, you need to adjust your neck periodically anyway. I have a seriously hard time believing you can do any serious damage to the neck of any decent bass by leaving your E string in D. If it was an issue, all my basses would have warped necks.

18. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    i see where you're getting at but just in case i'd like to reduce the number times i have to tweak my neck and stuff. and as for the gauges i'd like to keep them ernie ball gauges. so i'd like to keep using ernie ball and not some other brand plus i'd rather be more safe about neck and not just leave it whatever. i'm still a little paranoid on stuff like that as i'm almost going to hit a year playing bass in a few months. just want to play it safe.

19. 118 for D? Wow.
    I have a 110 on my one of my basses tuned CGCF and it's plenty good enough for that. I couldn't imagine tuning it up to D, much less a 118.